1st Virginia Cavalry under J.E.B. Stuart

kanemono

Richard Welby Carter was born in Fauquier County, Virginia, on March 11, 1837. He was the son of one of Virginia’s most distinguished familys. Carter attended the Virginia Military Institute as a member of the class of 1859. He was appointed captain of a Virginia volunteer cavalry company, the Loudon Light Horse, in 1859. Captain Carter retained command of the Light Horse and he entered Confederate service with the company on April 27, 1861 as Company H, 1st Virginia Cavalry under J.E.B. Stuart. Carter fought in the First Battle of Bull Run where he had a horse killed under him and had bullet holes in his sleeve and hat. He was promoted to Major on July 24, 1862, Lieutenant Colonel on November 15, 1862 and to full Colonel on July 1, 1863. Carter commanded the regiment at Chancellorsville, Brandy Station, Bristol Station and Mine Run, Virginia. He was captured at the Battle of Upperville, Virginia during the Gettysburg campaign and confined at Camp Chase, Ohio until he was exchanged on August 3, 1864. The battle of Tom’s Brook, Virginia on October 9, 1864 pitted two former West Point roommates against one another, General Tom Rosser and General George Armstrong Custer. Custer’s Union troopers routed the divisions of Rosser in a flanking maneuver. Custer had the upper hand and Colonel Carter disengaged and went to New Market where Confederate cavalry were to reassemble in the event of a loss at Tom’s Brook. General Tom Rosser could not admit to defeat by Custer and Colonel Carter was his scapegoat. Carter was court-martialed and cashiered for cowardice on March 15, 1865. However, Carter’s commission was reinstated. He was taken prisoner and ended the war in prison at Fort Delaware. After the Civil War Carter married Sophia deButts of Rectortown, Virginia, and they raised a large family at the family estate “Crednal”, Virginia. Richard Welby Carter died at Crednal on December 21, 1889.

This gold and silver 1st Virginia Cavalry medal and miniature watercolor portrait was given to R. Welby Carter by his wife Sophia in 1881. It may have been worn during the July 21, 1881, Luray, Virginia, Blue and Grey Reunion.

post-9487-0-97067900-1498077759_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-36538700-1498077772_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-20173100-1498077789_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-89519500-1498077796.jpg

post-9487-0-00881500-1498077804_thumb.jpg

Jumpin Jack

Excellent job of putting together the history of a brave soldier, and outstanding camera work to show items relating to him. As a VMI graduate, I can't help but to think this material would be greatly welcomed at the VMI Museum. It reflects the histories of many outstanding graduates, as well as the part the Corps of Cadets played at the Battle of New Market. I spend much time during my 4th Class year standng at my window staring at the cannon balls lodged in the wall below. Thant you for sharing. Jack

What a beautiful medal! Does it have any type of hallmark on the reverse? What's cool to me is that Colonel Richard Carter's grandfather Landon Carter was also my great someodd grandfather down the line as well.