M1A1 folding stock paratrooper carbine for review.

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

OK, have I missed anything so far!? Will try to post some pics, but important info I believe is here.

Inland Manufacturing Division of General Motors second run, May 1944-January 1945, 69,0

Serial numbered 6265669. (2nd run range is 5,000,000 - 6,449,868)

"I.R.CO." marked adjustable rear sight

Inland barrel dated "10-44"

Low wood pattern M1 stock

pistol grip ordnance stamped, no other stock markings

M (no underline) marked magazine eject button

smooth unmarked button safety

"N" marked blade front sight

Cheekpad with steel rivets and an oiler, and the spring-loaded

buttplate with proper casting numbers on the interior

No bayonet lug

Thanks!

Andrew

post-93-0-89673800-1498043277_thumb.jpeg

wartimecollectables.com

M (no underline) marked magazine eject button

smooth unmarked button safety

post-93-0-71713300-1498044184.jpeg

wartimecollectables.com

Cheekpad with steel rivets and an oiler, and the spring-loaded stock

post-93-0-70717100-1498044341_thumb.jpeg

What letters are on the Rt. hand face [when looking at it from the front] of the mag. release?

Nice acquisition!

Chuck.

wartimecollectables.com

What letters are on the Rt. hand face [when looking at it from the front] of the mag. release?

Nice acquisition!

Chuck.

Thanks. Not sure which lettering you mean. Mag release marked M a shown above, no marking on the other side.

It is the face that lies up against the magazine when one is inserted into the mag well. Usually letters like EI, WI, SI and HI.

Inland, as a rule, did not use unmarked mag catches.

Chuck

wartimecollectables.com

It is the face that lies up against the magazine when one is inserted into the mag well. Usually letters like EI, WI, SI and HI.

Inland, as a rule, did not use unmarked mag catches.

Chuck

Post an example pic?

wartimecollectables.com

OH Du-uh, kinda slow in the summer. The mag catch is marked SI.

post-93-0-90313400-1498141979.jpg

johnsonlmg41

The folding stock looks legit, anything past that is only speculation as to whether that specific gun was factory installed in that stock.

wartimecollectables.com

The folding stock looks legit, anything past that is only speculation as to whether that specific gun was factory installed in that stock.

I would imagine that could be said of any firearm that has all factory and date correct parts but where, unlike some weapons, the parts are not numbered to each other.

We can at least say that all parts are correct for the time period in which this carbine would have been produced. We don't have to worry about "humped" assembly/serial numbers. Except for the lack of a firing proof [Circle P] on the rear or side of the main stock, everything looks okay.

Chuck.

The actions found in M1A1 folding stocks were not dedicated by Inland for those stocks, it was the luck of the draw. It is quite possible some barreled actions found in these stocks were first assembled in regular carbine stocks, pulled off the racks at Inland and put into the newly produced folders as they were needed. There is no way to verify what stock any particular action has been in since it was first put together. I have a very nice high wood folding stock/hand guard with just a type 1 barrel band signature [impression in the wood] and a mostly correct Inland barreled action in the mid 200K range that is now in a nice type one stock. I just cannot justify putting them together, it would look good, but, it would not be historically correct.

Chuck.