Army officer's khaki shirt

P-40Warhawk

P-40Warhawk

I've had this one forever, even though I don't really collect Army uniforms. I rescued it from a used clothing resale place, which was selling vintage and used clothes to wear. The pic isn't the best, but it seems to be a private purchase shirt. It has signs on pin on insignia on the collar, from the shape maybe Cav or Arty I don't know which. I know khaki shirts are a dime a dozen, but this one just appealed to me at the time with the Cavalry and Anti Aircraft Arty patches on it. When I grabbed it off the rack, I thought it was maybe 1960s, but now I am thinking 1950s. Thoughts? Any idea what the BOS pin on would have been?

shirt.jpg

P-40Warhawk

Here is the collar showing wear from BOS insignia.

shirtcollar.jpg

P-40Warhawk

Thanks, was the BOS insignia for it approved at the same time, or did it come along at a different time?

Thanks, was the BOS insignia for it approved at the same time, or did it come along at a different time?

On 02 Jan 1957 a new BOS insignia for the Artillery BOS was adopted- crossed field guns with a superimposed missile.

On 20 June 1968 Air Defense Artillery was established as a Branch of Service.

On 01 Dec 1968 Air Defense Artillery retained the guns with missile BOS insignia while Field Artillery once again wore the crossed field guns BOS insignia of the Field Artillery which were reinstated.

P-40Warhawk

Thank you. The shirt has ghosting of the Cav patch on the left sleeve, but in the configuration it is in it must have been worn after 1957. That helps, but I wonder about the BOS insignia on the collar. I guess the Artillery one fits the 'current' unit patch. Appreciate the help! I must have found a reference to the '60s date when I first got it because I remember thinking it was from then. Probably was a sharp looking shirt in the day.

Thank you. The shirt has ghosting of the Cav patch on the left sleeve, but in the configuration it is in it must have been worn after 1957. That helps, but I wonder about the BOS insignia on the collar. I guess the Artillery one fits the 'current' unit patch. Appreciate the help! I must have found a reference to the '60s date when I first got it because I remember thinking it was from then. Probably was a sharp looking shirt in the day.

Yes, I think the crossed cannon with a missile will work.

• 7 months later...

On 02 Jan 1957 a new BOS insignia for the Artillery BOS was adopted- crossed field guns with a superimposed missile.

On 20 June 1968 Air Defense Artillery was established as a Branch of Service.

On 01 Dec 1968 Air Defense Artillery retained the guns with missile BOS insignia while Field Artillery once again wore the crossed field guns BOS insignia of the Field Artillery which were reinstated.

Just wanted to add this official MEMO from the 25th If Div's newspaper I just now found.

Arty Fields Get Distinct Insignias

Separate insignia have been approved for the U.S. Army's two artillery branches.

Officers in the Field Artillery Branch and enlisted personnel assigned to field artillery organizations will be authorized to wear an insignia consisting of two crossed field guns.

This insignia was used by the Field Artillery Branch before January 2, 1957.

Officers in the Air Defense Artillery Branch and enlisted personnel assigned to air defense artillery organizations will continue to wear the present Artillery Branch insignia, which consists of two crossed field guns and a missile.

The names of artillery officers transferred to the new Air Defense Artillery Branch will appear on a special order scheduled for publication in November with an effective date of December 1, 1968.

New insignia will be authorized for wear on effective date of the order.

The elbow patches and the scalloped pocket flaps make this a really nice example of quality tailoring in a privately purchased shirt. Nice find

The elbow patches and the scalloped pocket flaps make this a really nice example of quality tailoring in a privately purchased shirt. Nice find

Yes, done either in Japan or South Korea, an officers shirt from what we can see from where the branch insignia was on the collar, but what rank?

Thanks guys! I will try to get it out this week and get more photos of it. I have no idea what rank was on it, as it was found without the pin on rank and bos pins. Maybe someone can tell from the pin holes?

Pins holes up-and down could be lieutenant, major or lieutenant colonel, side-by-side captain or colonel.

Yes that's always the tough call when there's no name, the question being; just what grade was he when he wore this shirt :blink:^_^

Hi guys, that is the side for the bos insignia, at the time I posted this thread I did not take a photo of the rank side, but I'll try to get around to that this week.

Hi guys, that is the side for the bos insignia, at the time I posted this thread I did not take a photo of the rank side, but I'll try to get around to that this week.

Yep, just giving you your options for the other collar.