1911 G marked mag

gomorgan

Looked at couple of 45 mags in a WWI period pouch today, one is stamped S which I know is a good WWII maker, but the other marked one has a G which is unfamiliar to me. Anyone know if this is a WWII period maker, both mags and pouch in very good to excellent condition. Thanks in advance George

Should have a seam up the back. General Shaver was a division of Remington Rand and those pistols shipped with a General Shaver magazine.

Thank you both, I know the Scovill's bring a premium price how about the Gen. Shavers? These are in a pouch on belt with couple other pouches nothing matches as to time period except the 3 mag pouches for 1911. Guy is stuck around hundred which seems rich to my blood.

Hi George - my experience is that Scovill contract magazines don't bring a premium, but the General Shavers do. Risdons tend to bring a little more (Than Scovills), with Little and Co ("L") being about the same as Scovills. One thing to look closely at is the underside of the 'toe', to see if they were Colt-identified. Colt required any contract providers of magazines to them to mark the underside of the toe accordingly. As an example, if the Scovill was shipped with a Colt, they would be marked on the base with a "C-S". Thise bring a little extra as well.

In terms of value, so much of that hinges upon condition, so it's really hard to say without seeing them. As a range, I would put a value on the Scovill of $25-$35. The General Shaver about $10-$15 more.

All just my humble opinion.

Thank you, I'll go back and look them over later today if I get the chance and check the bottoms of the mags for additional markings..