Remenbering Dixon Schumm

Centurion1982

Centurion1982

A few weeks ago I went to Henri Chapelle American Cemetery on Memorial Day. When we arrived I went straight to the grave of Dixon to pay my utmost respect for the ultimate sacrifice he brought (for my freedom today).

Dixon E. Schumm (1911-1945), Pfc, 7th Armored Division, 48th Armored Infantry Battalion, Company C

Pfc Dixon E. Schumm enlisted in Cleveland, Ohio on 25 June 1943.

He was a truck driver before his enlistment. He married Ethel Frolly on May 27, 1940.

He went Missing in Action on the night of 24-25 December in the fighting near Manhay, Belgium as part of the 7th AD's withdrawal from St. Vith, Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge. He was later Killed in Action fighting approximately 1.5 miles southeast of St. Vith in and attempt to take a hill in that area.

It was the first time his Purple Heart was with him. I had goose bumps all over my body.

After I paid my respect the service began. It was a nice service which started with a fly over of a plane from the nearby airfield of Rammstein (Germany).

There were 2 WWII veterans (see picture below). One of them landed at Utah beach with the 4th infantry division in the second wave on DDay.

After the ceremony I went back to the grave of Dixon Schumm. A few rows further general Curtis Michael Scaparrotti (current Supreme Allied Commander Europe of NATO Allied Command Operations) was paying his respect to a fallen relative. When suddently he and more people came to me. The general and Matthew Lussendop (Chargé dAffaires, a.i., to the Kingdom of Belgium) were interested in the framed display I brought with me and the story about Dixon. A very special moment for me.

post-158821-0-58821600-1497793239_thumb.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Your doing this was incredibly respectful and appreciated. Thank you for the time and effort that you devored to honor an almost forgotten American soldier.