Unusual WWII "Navy" Purple Heart Medal Issued Posthumously to KIA 15th Air Force Crew Member

Frank_Smith

Frank_Smith

Most medal collectors are aware that at one point towards the end of World War II, the sea services (Navy and Marine Corps) obtained a number of Purple Heart Medals from the Army. According to legend (and I believe some research that either Colonel Albert F. Gleim or Captain Stan Sirmans completed in the 1990's), the United States Mint, the entity that that produced the medals for the Navy and Marines, couldn't keep up with demand for the medal. The increase in casualties sustained in the Pacific late in the War, taxed the Mint's Purple Heart Medal production. To cover the shortfall, the Army was asked, and provided, a number of medals. Some of these "Army" Purple Hearts were presented unnamed to Sailors and Marines. Far more were engraved and presented to the next of kin of deceased service members. It is not uncommon to see Purple Hearts that were manufactured for the Army presented to submariners, aviators, and other personnel who went missing and were declared dead in 1946.

What is not as well known is that the sea services eventually transferred at least some Purple Heart medals back to the Army. Over my 30 plus years of collecting, I have seen a handful (probably six) of Type III Navy Purple Hearts engraved and presented to the next of kin of Army and Air Corps casualties. All but one of these I have tallied were presented to Air Corps personnel. All were presented the 1946 time frame. The majority were given to the NOK of 20th Air Force officers and enlisted men.

There are three ways to tell the difference between a Navy Type III medal and one produced for the Army. Navy examples have a barrel shaped lug, they are heavier, and they usually have a sterling silver suspension ring that turns dark due to the acid of the silver eating through the gilt finish.

Here is an example of one of these "unusual" Purple Hearts and the story of the man for which it was issued.

Staff Sergeant William J. Marshall, service number 20823267, served as a nose gunner on a B-24-J, attached to the 759th Bomb Squadron, 459th Bomb Group (H), 15th Air Force. He was killed in action on 28 February 1945 due to an official finding of death issued on 1 March 1946. The aircraft on which Marshall was serving was hit by flack on a mission to bomb the Isarco Flask Alze Railroad Bridge near St. Petria, Italy. Born on 31 January 1916, Marshall entered the service from Houston, Texas.

S/Sgt. Marshall was flying as a crew member of 1st Lt. Claude Schonberger on 28 February 1945. On this day, the aircraft was flying as deputy lead aircraft for the squadron. As they approached the target at about 23,000 feet, the aircraft received three almost simultaneous hits by German 88-mm flak guns. Two rounds struck the middle of the aircraft near the then open bomb-bay, causing flames to envelop the aircraft, and the third round hit near the flight deck. The aircraft went into a spin and blew apart in an explosion that sheered the wings off the fuselage. Lt. Schonberger and 2nd Lt. Robert A. Johnson, the Navigator, were blown clear of the aircraft in the explosion and were the only survivors.

Staff Sergeant Marshall is buried at the Zachary Taylor National Cemetery, Louisville, Kentucky.

I have attached some pictures of the medal and information on William J. Marshall. As you can see, the medal has the classic Navy style barrel lug and dark colored sterling silver suspension ring. Compare it to other Purple Hearts you see. You will notice the difference.

Rest in peace Staff Sergeant Mitchell. Thank you for your service and sacrifice. You will not be forgotten.

post-316-0-36832000-1497759311.jpg

This is the type of post I enjoy reading the most. Not only does it honor a soldiers supreme sacrifice it also teaches us about the technical aspect of the issued medal.

Well done and thank you, Frank, for sharing your knowledge and this Purple Heart.

Brent

Frank_Smith

There were many different contracts/manufacturers of WWII Army Purple Hearts and the lugs on the medals come in several distinct styles. While most are rounded, some are square. However, none of them are barrel shaped like you see on Type II and Type II Navy Purple Hearts. I snapped a couple pictures this morning comparing the Marshall "Navy" medal compared to those produced for the Army for reference.

post-316-0-60259600-1497795665_thumb.jpg

doinworkinvans

Frank thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for! Fantastic pictures and this will be a great reference for years to come!

Daniel

• 1 month later...