517th Paratrooper Grouping

neil peart

These uniforms belonged to Lt John Neiler, S-2 Officer of the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team. I believe that the M-42s were what he used in the US during training, the four pocket was worn in Toccoa, Ga, the Ike was worn in France when the team was preparing for activities after the Battle of the Bulge. He was promoted to captain while wearing this. The general uniform is what he wore when he retired. I also have his lensatic compass and pouch, the escape compass, canteen, fork, and bedroll.

post-24839-0-80519600-1497492938_thumb.jpg

The patch was not his. He probably got the 82nd patch when he was reassigned to the 505th after the war.post-24839-0-63555900-1497497297_thumb.jpg

Unusual item. Lt. Dick Spencer of the 517th designed the patch and made stamps for the soldiers of the 517th that could be stamped on V-Mail for Christmas 1944. He made one specifically for the S-2 officers. Somehow Mr. Neiler ended up with the stamp. Here is the stamp and where I stamped it onto V-Mail.

post-24839-0-11419900-1497497627_thumb.jpg

carbinephalen

This is an incredible find! Right up there on my "favorite groups I've ever seen" list!

Being an O in the A-2 shop myself this one is D*MN hard to beat! ?

Capt John Henry Neiler. Silver Star and Bronze Star . Combat jump South of France . Serial 7 Chalk 1 C47 43-15159 . Passed away on Sept 16, 2012.

Lovely set, congratulation on the find!!

I must admit, it is one of he most complete sets I have seen here, thank you very much for sharing ;)

Kind regards

JEB

Capt John Henry Neiler. Silver Star and Bronze Star . Combat jump South of France . Serial 7 Chalk 1 C47 43-15159 . Passed away on Sept 16, 2012.

Hello 551PIB, just wondering where you found the information about his flight. Thanks

Hello 551PIB, just wondering where you found the information about his flight. Thanks

Will have a look on my book about the Pathfinder .

I don't have any official paper about the Sout of France Jump ... Just to let you know I mixe all I found with books, website, Vet contact or any kind of info. Sometimes it's just one or two name Inside a stick ... For this case I read that Lt Neil was in Lt Col Melvin Zais's stick ... and in the book "Into the Valley" page 216, I found the C47 Crew who was in charge with Lt Col Zais ... and the famous plane "Argonia" .

Will try to find more info.

I don't have any official paper about the Sout of France Jump ... Just to let you know I mixe all I found with books, website, Vet contact or any kind of info. Sometimes it's just one or two name Inside a stick ... For this case I read that Lt Neil was in Lt Col Melvin Zais's stick ... and in the book "Into the Valley" page 216, I found the C47 Crew who was in charge with Lt Col Zais ... and the famous plane "Argonia" .

Will try to find more info.

Wow, thanks. I listened to an interview of Tom McAvoy on YouTube about the jump and he mentioned that Zais and Neiler were in the same plane. Anything helps. I am giving all of this information to his wife. Thanks again.

Wow, thanks. I listened to an interview of Tom McAvoy on YouTube about the jump and he mentioned that Zais and Neiler were in the same plane. Anything helps. I am giving all of this information to his wife. Thanks again.

I like this king of team work ;-)))

Just to let you know more this is the C47 Crew

• Capt Norman C La Forest Cop
  • 2Lt Vincent J Paterno Nav
  • T/Sgt Charles E Patterson Crew
  • S/Sgt John A Dougherty Rad
  • + one reporter Ronald M Stead .

Also in the same stick

• Lt Fred Zavattero 596AEC
  • Capt Joseph McGeever
  • Lt Howard Hensleigh
  • Lt Ludlow Gibbons

a post war roster put together in 2004 lists him as a gen. G, 3rd HQ living in Oak ridge Tn. great find and glad it mostly kept together.

a post war roster put together in 2004 lists him as a gen. G, 3rd HQ living in Oak ridge Tn. great find and glad it mostly kept together.

Yes, that's him. I am trying to get as much information about him as I can to let his wife know.

Here is Lt. Neiler in Piera Cava, France near the end of Operation Dragoon. Beside him is Lt. Richard Spencer who designed the 517th's Battling Buzzard patch. He also made the "Merry Christmas" stamp sown above.

post-24839-0-44070600-1498259206.jpg

post-24839-0-43504800-1498259234.jpg

Here he is in Soissons, France where the 517th was stationed just prior to the Battle of the Bulgepost-24839-0-01847300-1498259547_thumb.jpg

Here is the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Intelligence Section at their headquarters in Joigny, France sometime in the late spring through summer of 1945. Lt. Neiler is at the bottom left. This house was recently used in a short French film and looks pretty much the same. The current owner had no idea that it was used as an American HQ. They do think it was used by the Germans.

post-24839-0-28245300-1498259944_thumb.jpg

Neiler was promoted to Captain just days after the team left France on their way back to the US. This was probably taken aboard the Madawaska Victory ship.

post-24839-0-53901800-1498260626.jpg