473rd Bomb Squadron | 334th Bombardment Group | 3rd AAF WWII

walika

473rd Bombardment Squadron | 334th Bombardment Group | 3rd AAF WWII

EMBLEM. On a light blue disc, “Bomby” bear wearing a red aviator’s helmet and white goggles, riding a large orange and white aerial bomb diving earthward, speed lines white. (Approved 5 Feb 1943.)

American chain-stitch embroidery on wool.

473bs334bg3aaf-1-800.jpg473bs334bg3aaf-2b-800.jpg

American embroidery on wool.

473bs334bg3aaf-2-800.jpg473bs334bg3aaf-1b-800.jpg

American embroidery.

473bs334bg3aaf-3-800.jpg473bs334bg3aaf-3b-800.jpg

Silkscreened on leather.

473bs334bg3aaf-4-800.jpg

Rick what a book your collection would make.Thank You.Scotty

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Airborne-Hunter

Here's an odd variation that I have. My father purchased this direct from the vet. The vet said that the patch was made in Panama and that he was stationed down there. I have never been able to figure out why it says "Group" and "squadron k"....not sure what to make of it.

post-1800-0-79571400-1516577263_thumb.jpg

Here's an odd variation that I have. My father purchased this direct from the vet. The vet said that the patch was made in Panama and that he was stationed down there. I have never been able to figure out why it says "Group" and "squadron k"....not sure what to make of it.

I'm not sure what to make of your patch. According to Maurer, the 334th Bomb Group (which existed only from 1942 to 1944), of which the 473rd was part, was not stationed in Panama. Its entire deployment was as a training unit at Greenville AAB, SC. The 473rd was constituted 9 Jul 1942 and disbanded 1 May 1944.

• 3 months later...
doinworkinvans

A couple of thoughts.....yes he could have got this one off patch made in Panama. Could have been that they flew through there for some reason before they went overseas.

Could have flown down there also during training. And he decided he wanted a patch made up for his unit. Thus why it has the "K" and it was just one patch made just for him.

Just my thoughts