Paths of Glory

patches

post-34986-0-37314500-1496632493_thumb.jpg

Just watched the DVD, never had it before (Seen it of course many times on TV and with VHS rentals over the years), so I ordered it a month ago or something. I knew for a long long time that it was banned in France for a long time. Look in on the WIKI and was unaware to the extent it was banned and controversy it caused in other countries for many years, including our own.

n France, both active and retired personnel from the French military vehemently criticized the film—and its portrayal of the French Army—after it was released in Belgium. The French government placed enormous pressure on United Artists, (the European distributor) to not release the film in France. The film was eventually shown in France in 1975 when social attitudes had changed.[13]

• In Germany, the film was withdrawn from the Berlin Film Festival to avoid straining relations with France;[14] it was not shown for two years until after its release.
  • In Spain, Spain's right-wing government of Francisco Franco objected to the film. It was first shown in 1986, 11 years after Franco's death.
  • In Switzerland, the film was censored, at the request of the Swiss Army, until 1970.[14]

This last one is a surprise, about USAEUR not allowing it be viewed eh!

I take it that it portrayed the French military in a less than flattering light. I have to look it up. Did you enjoy it?

I take it that it portrayed the French military in a less than flattering light. I have to look it up. Did you enjoy it?

You never heard of this movie with Kirk Douglas! It's a classic, it a story about a failed attack on a very strong fortified German position called the Ant Hill. And the divisional commander in a fit of rage orders the assault regiment to be decimated, that's one man out of 10 to be executed, but settles on only three men from the lead battalion to be executed.

Now it's fictional story, but it has it's basis in the mutiny of several French units in 1917, not mutinying for or opposition to the war, but rather the manner in which the generals were conducting it, IE massive frontal attacks resulting in massive killed and wounded for little or no territory gained, as well as terms of service IE lack of leave, haveing no real rest when pulled out of the line in the rear IE Guard and Drill duty, poor food, little wine rations etc.

I also picked up Paths of Glory on DVD a couple of months ago, I never really watched the entire movie before on tv so I wanted to watch it again, now I can see why the French gov didnt like it, since it portrays them as a unjust / corrupt / incompetent military, poor leadership, kind of a disgrace to France.

treating their own soldiers like cannon fodder then charging them with cowardice for retreating or not advancing far enough.

after watching it again, I enjoyed it, it's a pretty good story, Kirk Douglas plays the good officer and stands up for his men.

I also picked up Paths of Glory on DVD a couple of months ago, I never really watched the entire movie before on tv so I wanted to watch it again, now I can see why the French gov didnt like it, since it portrays them as a unjust / corrupt / incompetent military, poor leadership, kind of a disgrace to France.

treating their own soldiers like cannon fodder then charging them with cowardice for retreating or not advancing far enough.

after watching it again, I enjoyed it, it's a pretty good story, Kirk Douglas plays the good officer and stands up for his men.

Yeah the trial scene was madding to watch right, a rigged kangaroo court if there ever was one, that Staff Officer (Richard Anderson) as the prosecutor, and during the whole thing with Mireau lounging on that nice sofa.

post-34986-0-64081600-1496761158_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Great movie! The French Army; just like every other army in the world.

patches---

I find it interesting that your profile pic is Carl Kolchak and that there are two connections to the TV series and the movie "Paths of Glory." Ralph Meeker, one of the three men executed, was in the original movie, "The Night Stalker," as Carl's FBI friend. Richard Anderson, pictured above, was in the second movie, "The Night Strangler," and played the strangler (Dr. Malcolm Richards/Dr. Richard Malcolm).

patches---

I find it interesting that your profile pic is Carl Kolchak and that there are two connections to the TV series and the movie "Paths of Glory." Ralph Meeker, one of the three men executed, was in the original movie, "The Night Stalker," as Carl's FBI friend. Richard Anderson, pictured above, was in the second movie, "The Night Strangler," and played the strangler (Dr. Malcolm Richards/Dr. Richard Malcolm).

Oh yeah, you're right.