Body Odor from a WWI uniform

Croix de Guerre

I would be cautious with fabreeze, it contains an alcohol and I have had problems with it on my carpets, so I would be very cautious with uniforms. My dog found a nice corner of the basement bedroom and was peeing on it. I cleaned it thoroughly, but the smell would still come out. I was using Fabreeze on it to knock the smell down when people would visit. Over time, he area started changing color and I was told to stop using it as it can actually attract dirt.

As for the smell, you might take t o a good dry cleaner for evalution. Body odor comes mostly from bacterial action. I'm thinking the bacteria from old are pretty much gone. Having ruined numerous items in the past, I would advise getting good advice from a professional cleaner befor doing anyting on my own.

We need to get a professional dry cleaner on the board!

• 1 month later...

I have had this problem with uniforms before. What I found to work GREAT and involve no chemicals on the uniform is to trace down a dry cleaner that can do fire restorations of clothing tainted by smoke. They place the garment in a sealed chamber and pump it full of ozone (O1) and let it sit overnight. When done, if the odor is not 100% gone, it is a solid 95% gone.

To give you an idea of the power of ozone, the previous owner of the house I live in was one of those who pulled her oxygen mask aside so she could have another cigarette. She died and the house sat unsold for over a year because no one wanted a house that absolutely REEKED of cigarette smoke. (I'm a reformed smoker and it grossed me out.) I had an idea, so I decided to take a chance.

Anyhow, after washing the walls and having the carpet cleaned the house still stunk horrendously. Knowing how ozone worked on my uniforms, I contacted a fire restoration company to see if they could help. They sealed up the house and put an ozone generator inside for three days. Three and a half years later, there still is not the slightest hint of cigarette smoke.

Works like a charm and no chemicals touch your uniform. Great stuff!

Tom thumbsup.gif

My dad ran a dry cleaning business until he retired.....I had every WW1 and WW2 uniform dry cleaned for many years, and never had a problem with it. I still get most uniforms dry cleaned that I intend to keep in my collection.

Croix de Guerre

I appreciate every one's advice and even enjoyed the comments from you chuckleheads that had fun at my expense. yucky.gif The smelly uniform in question is the RFC cuff rank tunic on the left worn by Tommy Thomson, the American who volunteered with the Royal Flying Corps. Given the rarity of the garment and "historic' nature of the stink pinch.gif ,,,I think I'm going to leave well enough alone. Thanks again for all the comments. thumbsup.gif

post-3356-1234016598.jpg