New Site on USMC M1903 Springfield Rifles

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Gents:

There is always a lot of interest in Marine Corps weapons around here. I have learned of a new site in development that intends to cover USMC small arms in general. That is in the future but for now the section on the Springfield rifles used by the Marines is up and running.

It can be found here: https://usmcweaponry.com/m1903/

Use the drop down menus to get to the Springfields of various eras.

I don't know the site developer but he seems pretty serious about his mission. He has evidently scoured NARA for documents relevant to USMC use of the M1903. There are a lot of good pics there, some familiar and some not.

It's worth a look for those with an interest in the Springfield M1903 rifle.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
milcollector

Nice site.

Does anyone know if the U.S.M.C. marking on the end of the 1903 barrel

is a Marine issued marking?

• 6 months later...

Hello gents,

I'm the USMC enthusiast behind USMCweaponry.com, and I really appreciate the kind words and visits. As a former Marine rifleman I am enthralled with the history of the Marines that came before me, and the weapons they took to war. It's been a while since I've had much chance to update things, but I'm in the process of doing so again, currently working on the sniper sections. If anyone has nice photos of their Marine weapons or gear, by all means I'm more than happy to include it, and in the future would like to add a section for the submission of Marine weapons by those interested. This site is a labor of love, and I'm just happy to get as much information I can to others that I reap during National Archives trips.

Happy New Years to all,

Tim Plowman

Having seen Tims work and spoken with him, he is super knowledgeable about this topic. Hes a real asset the the collecting community and the knowledge of the history to our Corps.

Semper Fi

Hello gents,

I'm the USMC enthusiast behind USMCweaponry.com, and I really appreciate the kind words and visits. As a former Marine rifleman I am enthralled with the history of the Marines that came before me, and the weapons they took to war. It's been a while since I've had much chance to update things, but I'm in the process of doing so again, currently working on the sniper sections. If anyone has nice photos of their Marine weapons or gear, by all means I'm more than happy to include it, and in the future would like to add a section for the submission of Marine weapons by those interested. This site is a labor of love, and I'm just happy to get as much information I can to others that I reap during National Archives trips.

Happy New Years to all,

Tim Plowman

Here's some taken of my father pre-war, he's the one checking out his '03, and instructing the machine gunners. He took the barracks shot showing the '03.

Let me know if you want to use them.

I have I guess hundreds of negatives he took, haven't scanned them all yet.

post-1414-0-36654800-1514913422_thumb.jpg

Hello gents,

Happy New Years to all,

Tim Plowman

post-1414-0-41778800-1514913451_thumb.jpg

Hello gents,

Happy New Years to all,

Tim Plowman

post-1414-0-14481100-1514913480_thumb.jpg

Hello gents,

Happy New Years to all,

Tim Plowman

post-1414-0-74115100-1514914196_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work Tim!! Love the site and layout. Im in NZ and as you are probably aware the USMC hung out here and in Australia for a while during the war. About 12 months ago I scored a Remington 1903 with out a scant stock. It has a more traditional style grip stock/semi pistol. Can I send you some pictures and ask for your opinions on it. Im thinking it stayed or was left behind during the war. These rifles are fairly rare here in NZ. And if the are here they have been hacked up and drilled for hunting.

Thanks.

Matt.

Hello gents,

Happy New Years to all,

Tim Plowman

Hi Tim, thanks for doing something you have a passion for!

I've got one weapon that is USMC all the way that I am sure you'd like photos of. It is an M1903A3 with a Sedgley barrel and a large U.S.M.C. added to the stock by the Marine armories. I can provide photos at your request. :)

Of other interest: One of my local gun dealers' father was a Marine in WW2 and one of the weapons he brought back home was his Reising SMG. I will see if there are any photos of him I can borrow and scan to add to the collection!