A Southern Airways Instructor Pilot Helicopter School patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi all,
I want to share this interesting piece of Army Aviation history that I recently found.It's a Southern Airways Army Primary Helicopter School Instructor Pilot patch.The Helicopter School Instructor Pilots taught the students how to fly.

The piece is cotton twill with no plastic backing .The patch is very salty,one of those "if only this patch could speak" pieces.

Here's some background info I found online:
Camp Wolters was an Army camp from 1925 to 1946.After the war, the camp was deactivated for several years. It became an Air Force base in 1951 with the mission of training Air Force engineers.The Camp was transferred back to the Army on July 1, 1956.A contract was awarded to the Southern Airways Company in August of 1956 to conduct the flight training program at the U.S. Army Primary Helicopter School.The first class reported for training on November 26, 1956, and consisted of 34 Warrant Officer Candidates and one Chief Warrant Officer. The class graduated on April 27, 1957.

A name change occurred when Southern Airways of Texas, Inc. began business operations February 15, 1964, and it purchased from Southern Airways Company, Atlanta, Georgia, all rights, title and interest in that Companies Primary Helicopter Training Division at Ft. Wolters, Texas.

Initially all training was done at the Main Heliport and four stage fields.As the situation in Vietnam heated up these facilities grew to three heliports -- Main, Downing and Dempsey -- and 25 stage fields. The first seven stage fields were given "western" names while the rest were named after towns in Vietnam to get the students used to the names. The fields were laid out, directionally, the same as the actual towns were located in Vietnam. Stage field Bronco still exists, being used as a private residence. Other stage fields were Pinto, Ramrod, Mustang and Sundance. Vietnam names included An Khe, Vung Tau, Tuy Hoa, Cam Ranh, Hue, Chu Lai, Soc Trang, My Tho, Bien Hoa and Vinh Long.

The School started with 125 Hiller OH-23 Raven helicopters.The number of helicopters peaked in 1969 at more than 1300, including the OH-13 and TH-55 types. Over 41,000 students, representing over 30 countries, graduated from the primary helicopter school during the 17 years it functioned in this capacity. Peak output occurred in 1967 with 600 students graduating each month.

Put in "mothballs" in November, 1973, what was once known as Fort Wolters is now Wolters Industrial Park, housing a number of businesses, and in part of the old WOC area a prison.

Here are some more links to the sites where I found the info:

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/heroes-fort-wolters-180956245/ http://fwcvhpa.org/fwtour/intro.php/fw.htm

http://www.fortwolters.com/southern_airways.html

Here's a link to some more images of Southern Airways patches and memorabilia:

http://museum.vhpa.org/flightschool/flightschool.shtml

post-13386-0-82973100-1496332999_thumb.jpg

Great patches.

I first associated these two patches with the famed Southern Air Transport of CIA fame, but apparently they are two different organizations.

Chris

Patchcollector

Great patches.

I first associated these two patches with the famed Southern Air Transport of CIA fame, but apparently they are two different organizations.

Chris

Chris I initially had that same thought!

Patchcollector

It is intresting, I found this one in a junk shop in Mineral Wells, just outside Camp Wolters

You have a nice minty version.I'm wondering if our patches were made pre-1964,as they do not have the updated name "Southern Airways of Texas" on them?

Proud Kraut

May I add the variation I have in my possession? It's a two-piece construction.

SAW.jpg

Neat patches gents!

Would any of them be for sale? I'll shoot you a PM.

Thanks,

-Derek

I tried to send you a PM Patchcolletor but I wasn't able to do so. Maybe your inbox is full?

-Derek

Patchcollector

I tried to send you a PM Patchcolletor but I wasn't able to do so. Maybe your inbox is full?

-Derek

Hi Derek,

I made some room so you can PM me if you like.

Patchcollector

May I add the variation I have in my possession? It's a two-piece construction.

Thanks for posting your patch.I always enjoy seeing what others have and welcome any posts in all threads that I start!

That's an interesting piece with the two part construction,and it has an image of a helicopter with the updated "Southern Airways of Texas" logo.

• 4 months later...

I wanted to add some new patches to this thread. I recently picked these up as a set and I was quite pleased to find them together. I'm assuming that the rectangular tab patches would have been worn on a work shirt or coveralls.

I scored them for a really great price. I'm wondering maybe if it was because the seller had an incorrect description on them? Whatever the reason, I'm very happy to add these to my Fort Wolters collection.

-Derek

post-5482-0-82266900-1509577864_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

Very nice set,and in great condition too.Glad that you got them.I found some great images that show the patches being worn.I meant to post them awhile back but got sidetracked and forgot.As soon as I re-locate them I'll post them in this thread.

Patchcollector

Ok,found them.Here are images of some of the patches shown in this thread being worn,and other associated images.

post-13386-0-89654600-1509774072_thumb.jpg

post-13386-0-96646900-1509774082_thumb.jpg