Need Help ID'ing This Rifle - Hall Carbine

Shoreleave

Shoreleave

Greetings folks. So my grandfather had this old rifle always hanging on the wall of his house. He always told me it was just a toy. When he passed he left it to me and I obviously started to fiddle with it since that's kinda what I do and well, I thought it was just a toy. Well when the breech popped open I began to think this is probably not a toy at all. On the breech I can just barely make out something that looks like 184? so I'm guessing that's a date. Unfortunately my knowledge is rather limited on black powder rifles so I'm not even sure what I'd type to search this thing up to find out a value on it or information on what exactly it is.

Any ideas out there?

post-168707-0-10863500-1496236633_thumb.jpg

post-168707-0-14672000-1496236643_thumb.jpg

Shoreleave

Looks to be a Model 1840 Hall Cavalry Carbine. Missing a hammer.

Neat piece.

HUZZAH! I think you're correct. Mine does have an oddball breech release in comparison. Looks like most have a weird lever on the side and mine has that little flip around bit that just pokes it up from the bottom. Well, I now have a starting point to research from. Thanks again for the info!

Shoreleave

Nice piece, hard to find. Well worth cleaning it the correct way and repairing.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with it. I'm honestly not that big into Civil War and earlier collecting and it really wasn't something my grandfather truly valued. It was just kinda a wallhanger. Now the Type99 Arisaka with the mum still intact he brought back, that will stay in the family. This carbine, albeit incredibly cool, will probably get moved on to some more capable hands than my own.

• 3 weeks later...

Well just identified it further as an 1840 Halls Type I Cavalry Model. Only 500 were ever made.

• 1 year later...

Wow that is an amazing find and would make for a really cool restoration project. I beleive that one of these is on display at West Point, they had a fascinating display on early multishot and breech loading prototypes the last time I was there.