Ball Turret Gunners of WWII

ROCKET

Thanks for the kind offer of assistance John. Have been researching for sometime now. Fairly sure that you will not find a photo of my Uncle, or a crew photo on-line. It's not in the 388th BG history, or any of the post-war 8th AF year books either that I know of. Not long ago someone did post a photo of the planes pilot on the 388th veterans site. Will continue to look though.

Are any of the ball turret gunner photos named to an L.S. Birt?

I found some information which you might already have but figured I'd share it anyway. Your uncle Louis S. Birt (#31111607) flew with the 560th bomb squadron and was in fact a ball turret gunner. He was shot down by flak/fighters on 6 Mar 1944 while on a mission to Berlin. He was flying in the B-17 called "Shack Job" 42-31240 and the pilot's name was John W. McLaughlin. All crew members survived the crash and became POW's. The MACR report is 3086.

Here is a picture of the pilot, John W. McLaughlin. Unfortunately I can't find any photo of your uncle or any photo of the crew.

McLaughlinJW.jpg

If I find anything more I'll definitely let you know.

John

Do you know what unit he was assigned to? I checked my database of ball turret vets and he's not listed yet (it's still a work in progress).

John

He never admitted to anything other than that.

1st AAA Group

Thank you for taking the time to provide the info John. Most kind, was not expecting that, but I do already have that information and more from having done research some time ago...I have the MACR ect... Was just trying to find out from the photos you provided the names of the ball turret gunners in the hopes that one may have been Birt. As mentioned earlier as well my late Uncle was not the ball turret gunner, but the R/o. My search continues. Thanks again. thumbsup.gif

Thank you for taking the time to provide the info John. Most kind, was not expecting that, but I do already have that information and more from having done research some time ago...I have the MACR ect... Was just trying to find out from the photos you provided the names of the ball turret gunners in the hopes that one may have been Birt. As mentioned earlier as well my late Uncle was not the ball turret gunner, but the R/o. My search continues. Thanks again. thumbsup.gif

No problem...I hope you're eventually able to find a photo of him. One of the sources listed your uncle as a ball turret gunner which I guess is not surprising. I've come across lots of errors where aerial gunners are incorrectly listed in different assignments.

John