Lost crew from 407th Bomb Squadron, 92nd bomb group

BILL THE PATCH

Blacksmith

Mind Dan? It's an honor they deserve. I've been hitting the 'refresh' button on this topic, like a caffeinated squirrel, for the last hour! Thank you for doing this.

Ancestry.com is a heckuva resource.

Sgt, Pasquale A Calabrese Tail Gunner

Birth Mar. 9, 1919 Death: Apr. 24, 1944 trans.gif
Killed in Action Burial:
Saint Charles Cemetery
East Farmingdale
Suffolk County
New York, USA
Plot: section 43

post-68384-0-62723500-1495946894.jpg

Radio Operator Urvin J LaPerriere

Birth:

May 2, 1924 Death: Apr. 24, 1944 trans.gif
S SGT 8 Air Force World War II

Note: round top marble, cross carving, excellent condition Burial:
Calvary Cemetery
Winchendon
Worcester County
Massachusetts, USA

post-68384-0-85389100-1495947513_thumb.jpg

Navigator Ned E. Lewis.

Birth:

Dec. 1, 1919 Death: Apr. 24, 1944 trans.gif
LEWIS NED E T-001835 FL O KIA
-------
World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel from: Louisiana, St. Landry Parish.

Flight Officer 92 AAF Bomb GP
World War II Burial:
Myrtle Grove Cemetery
Opelousas
St. Landry Parish
Louisiana, USA

post-68384-0-30351600-1495947937_thumb.jpg

post-68384-0-08467200-1495948101_thumb.jpg

Bombardier Martin J Thomas

Birth:

Feb. 16, 1917 Death: Apr. 24, 1944 trans.gif

Okla. 1st Lt. 92 AAF Comb GP WWII Burial:
Oak Park Cemetery
Chandler
Lincoln County
Oklahoma, USA
Plot: Section 16, Lot 15

post-68384-0-79578400-1495948447_thumb.jpg

Top Turret Gunner Raymond H. Hardy. This guy has a lot of info on Find a Grave

Birth:

Dec. 16, 1919
Holderness
Grafton County
New Hampshire, USA Death: Apr. 24, 1944
Thurgau, Switzerland trans.gif
Raymond Henry Hardy was killed in action April 24, 1944. He was born in Holderness December 16, 1919 to Henry and Carrie Hardy. He entered the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1942. He was a top turret gunner and aerial engineer on a B-17 bomber. He has a brother, Richard Hardy, also in the U.S. Army in Europe.

Plymouth Bomber Gunner Gives Life Over Europe.

Plymouth was saddened this week with another war casualty announcement by the War Department that Sergeant Raymond Henry Hardy was killed in action April 24 in the European area.

Mrs. Carrie Hardy, mother of Sergeant Hardy, received a telegram Sunday evening regarding her son's death. It read, "The Secretary of War desires me to express his deep regrets that your son, Sgt. Raymond H. Hardy was killed in action on April 24 in European Area. Letter follows. Dunlop, Acting Adjutant General."

Sergeant Hardy, son of Henry and Carrie Hardy of Plymouth, was born in Holderness December 16, 1919. He attended Plymouth High School. He was employed in Plymouth before enlisting in the U.S. Army Air Corps, October 13, 1942. He received his basic training at Miami Beach, Florida, Amarillo Texas, gunnery school, Pyote, Texas, and in Arizona, and was shipped overseas from Nebraska in February. After graduating from the gunnery school, and upon receiving his wings, he gave them to his mother. He reached England about March 1st.

Raymond was a top turret gunner and aerial engineer on a B-17 bomber, and had taken part in several raids in the European area. He participated in his first important raids in France on March 27 and 28, when 57 Nazi planes were destroyed, and severe damage was done to 12 German airfields and other targets. The third raid in which he took part saw U.S. airmen shoot down 39 German planes in air battles as the Reich was hit through clouds.

Sergeant Hardy's younger brother, PFC Richard Hardy is serving with the U.S. Army with a supply contingent and has been somewhere in England since last September. Shortly after Raymond's arrival in England, the brothers had their first reunion in 18 months.

Mrs. Hardy received a letter from Raymond just a week ago, dated in England April 22. He stated he was sending her a gift for Mother's Day and hoped she would like it. Mrs. Hardy has already received a Mother's Day gift from her younger son, Richard. It was in the form of a bracelet made from British coins.

Sergeant Hardy is survived by his parents and brother, a grandmother, Mrs. Minnie Morse; two grandfathers, Herbert Morse and Forrest Hardy; three aunts and more distant relatives.

The deepest sympathy of the community is extended to the relatives of this young war hero who gave his life for his country. >The Plymouth Record, March 11, 1944, p1.

MEMORIAL RITES HELD FOR SERGEANT HARDY.

Memorial Services were held Sunday afternoon at the Methodist Church for Sgt. Raymond Hardy, son of Henry and Carrie Hardy who was killed in action April 24th in the European area. The services were largely attended and there were many floral tributes. Members of the Otto L. Durand Post attended. Rev. A. Otis Beach, pastor of the Methodist Church presided at the services.

Sergeant Hardy was a top turret gunner on a B-27 Bomber and took part in several raids in the European area last spring. Ray enlisted in October 1942 and following training in this country he was sent to England about March First. Sergeant Hardy's brother, PFC Richard Hardy has recently been transferred from England to France. The Plymouth Record, September 14, 1944, p1.

Name:

Sgt Raymond Henry Hardy Birth Date: 16 Dec 1919 Birth Place: Holderness, Grafton County, New Hampshire, USA Death Date: 24 Apr 1944 Death Place: Thurgau, Switzerland Burial or Cremation Place: Plymouth, Grafton County, New Hampshire, USA

post-68384-0-87638500-1495948790.jpg

post-68384-0-20730100-1495948799.jpg

post-68384-0-69768700-1495948806_thumb.jpg

Right Waist Gunner Name: Russell Pleasant Harris Jr.

Born August 3, 1922

Died April 24, 1944

From Dallas Texas

post-68384-0-37099600-1495949858_thumb.jpg

I'm finding nothing on Lowery so far.

At this point this is my educated guess on the IDs for the guys in the photo

post-68384-0-21258600-1495950394_thumb.jpg

A bit more on Russell Harris. He's buried in France

Service #

18176858 Rank Sergeant, U.S. Army Air Forces Unit 407th Bomber Squadron, 92nd Bomber Group, Heavy Entered Service From
Texas
Date of Death April 24, 1944 Buried Plot B Row 34 Grave 49
Epinal American Cemetery

Found out where William H. Lowery, the ball turret gunner is buried. Also in France.

Service #

35528962 Rank Sergeant, U.S. Army Air Forces Unit 407th Bomber Squadron, 92nd Bomber Group, Heavy Entered Service From
Ohio
Date of Death April 24, 1944 Buried Plot B Row 43 Grave 21
Epinal American Cemetery

I think I shot my load for the night. Hope this helps fill in some of the blanks for ya Bill The Patch :)

Thanks for throwing that photo up. I needed a chance to play detective tonight after completing all the things on the honey do list!

BILL THE PATCH

38driver that is great research. I'm speechless. It's so heartbreaking to find out they all perished. In a way I'm sorry I asked the intial question . But this is memorial day weekend, and they should be remembered. I'm like happy and at the same time bummed out. And to think the poor mascot waiting all night for them to return, and they never did. All hero's in my eyes. If you don't mind me asking 38driver how did you find the photo?, Is there a site or do you have you own database? Thanks for taking the time. May they all rest in peace.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I just got lucky. As for the photo. I on a whim checked on Facebook to see if the 92nd had a group and they did. In there images happened to be that photo that showed the plane name and ID'd it to the Jame King crew. With that I was back to the 92nd association website and their aircraft listing which gave me the serial number for Lil Brat as well as Squadron, Squadron codes, the date of loss and the MACR number. This sent me to Fold3 for the MACR which listed the crew names. Then it was off to Ancestry to see what I could find. I also hit the ABMC database that gave me the info on the two guys still buried in France.

As I said I got lucky with the other photo showing the name and ID of the pilot. It was a race from there

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful tribute to these brave young airmen. Remembering them on Memorial Day 73 years after their loss, from a photograph found by a person who never knew them and researched by another who cared is almost beyond belief. It is is in my humble opinion way more than a coincidence. Big congrats to Bill The Patch and 38 Driver for this gift. May they Rest in Peace. Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all! Thank you for the research, and honoring the memory of the sacrifice made by this aircrew. As an Air Force vet myself it means a lot... and also because I have a family connection.

Myron Phillips Snapp Jr. was my mother's first cousin (though due to larger families and birth/marriage spacing, she was only 2 yrs. old when he lost his life; she didn't get to know him personally). They called him "Junior" to distinguish from his father Myron (Sr.). In 1945 they had a family reunion to celebrate the 75th birthday of Junior's grandmother, and took a large family photo. In the photo, Junior's mother Ferne wore aviator's wings as a way of remembering him and including him in the picture he couldn't be present for.

One correction to 38Driver's "educated guess" on the photo: Myron Jr. is third from the left in the back row, so the man you have labeled as "Thomas" should be "Snapp". Look back at your 27 May posting, above, that says: "Copilot - 2nd Lt. Myron P. Snapp - back row, 3rd from left". I had gotten a copy of this picture a few years ago, and "3rd from left" matches the information I have. I had never seen the Missing Aircrew Report so I really appreciate you posting that here!

Best wishes to you all,

Brent