Dog Tag Cyrus F Fidler

BagmanL6

Good afternoon. My dad found this dog tag at a Church oriented thrift shop and passed it on to me. Trying to learn what I can about the type/style of tag and the Veteran.

On WWII-Enlistment.com learned that Mr. Fidler was originally from Alaska enlisting 13 Aug 1942 from Altoona Pa. Was born in 1899 so he wasn't a young man when he joined. (Is it possible he served during WW I?)

From Find A Grave he passed in 1962 and is buried at Baltimore National Cemetery.

The dog tag was in a grouping of a boxed Army GCM (box dated October 6, 1944), WWII Victor Medal Ribbon, and an American Campaign Medal Ribbon. All ribbons and medals are pristine and period.

Any additional information as to the type and style of tag and Mr. Fidler's service would be most appreciated. Thanks.

post-150797-0-11476700-1495650245_thumb.jpg

Alaska is probably in error, they used computer punch cards to track enlistments and they were prone to loosing "chads" (think hanging chads) causing a number of enlistment record errors for future generations of researchers...

post-5941-0-40331000-1495650823_thumb.jpg

I believe PA service cards are on Ancestry, so a trip to your local library (for the free use of Ancestry) should provide the details you require.

Ancestry has free use right now, he was only in for a year and was released from service in 1943 from the AAF. Did not go overseas...