AAF Pilot Lot

Ronnie

I received a call this morning from the daughter of one of my old coffee drinking buddies who died last year. She said they were going to have an estate sale and if I wanted her dad's military uniforms and gear I was welcomed to it. I drove to the house and loaded up with several sets of Pinks and Greens, 2 visor caps, a bunch of over seas caps, a duffle bag with some gear in it and a shadow box with wings etc displayed. Photographed a few items for you all to see.

Thanks.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-47264100-1495498799.jpg

post-7752-0-19974900-1495498808.jpg

post-7752-0-62221800-1495498818.jpg

post-7752-0-35895600-1495498828.jpg

mhalstead1950

I like the bullion 15th, to bad it is faded. Never the less great stuff thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments. Bill I'm not sure on the bomb group. I will ask his daughter tomorrow.

Ronnie

An observation about Capt. Dean Willams visor hats, uniforms and gear. At some point during the past 75 years a mouse did a small amount of damage to the leather chin strap on the visor cap. You can clearly see this in the photo above. However at some point Williams placed the visor caps in plastic bags. They were protected. The caps and gear were stored in his foot locker and the uniforms in a closet with cedar blocks attached to them. All kept in a climate controlled room....not in a very hot attic. Attics in Mississippi can get extremely hot. My point in this post is that Capt. Williams took extra precautions with of his WWII history. I have run across dozens of caps, uniforms and gear that were stored in the attic and were for the most part dry rotted and eaten by moths. It's good to run across equipment that was well cared for.

Ronnie

5thwingmarty

If his first name was Marcus, he was a pilot in the 99th BG, 347th BS who flew 9 missions before the war in Europe ended. If this is your man, can you let me know so I can update my records for the 99th BG Historical Society?

Marty

Thanks Marty. Yes that's him. Marcus Dean Williams! Good job.

He is 2nd from the right on the bottom row. The photo shows one of the visor caps that came with this group.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-34326800-1495662929.jpg

post-7752-0-80828000-1495662937.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some more items I got from the family of my old buddy. The AAF patch is not faded as the patch in the original photo. Anyway I wanted to show you this stuff.

Thanks.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-82228100-1496813099.jpg

Here is an observation. I think he started his AAF career as a Flying Officer (Warrant Officer). If you can inlarge the group photo above you will notice that apparently all the officers were Warrant Officers.

Ronnie