Odd WWI uniform at a local historical society

mvmhm

A historical society about an hour away had a small ceremony honoring WWI vets from the local area and we loaned them several uniforms and other artifacts. Cathy and I drove out to see them after we closed up Saturday, and this is one of the uniforms that has been in their possession since who knows when. Note the blue band and the chevrons..it looks like they sewed a set of Corporal chevrons on upside down for their overseas chevrons.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-26834300-1495479302_thumb.jpg

post-3423-0-77753200-1495479315_thumb.jpg

post-3423-0-32505700-1495479341_thumb.jpg

Looks like a 5th Division 19th Field Artillery uniform with a small Third Army added in center for occupation service with 3rd Army.

Not uncommon to see 3rd Army added to the center of the prior unit or sewn seperately below former unit patch

Looks like a 5th Division 19th Field Artillery uniform with a small Third Army added in center for occupation service with 3rd Army.

Not uncommon to see 3rd Army added to the center of the prior unit or sewn seperately below former unit patch

You Got it, 19th Field Artillery Regiment, 5th Division.

You Got it, 19th Field Artillery Regiment, 5th Division.

My first thought on the small patch in the diamond was air service type roundel(red/white/blue)but saw the A in the center.The colors are not the typical for 3rd Army looking at it again.Possible just a error in the colors?

world war I nerd

The blue armband on the lower left sleeve indicates that the soldier, when in combat, was assigned "special duty" as an "Agent or Signalman".

There's a recent post (March 21, 2017) in the WW I Forum titled "AEF Special Duty Armbands & Stripes that provides more information on the armband.

For some reason the forum is not allowing me to post the link to that thread here, so anyone interested will have to do a search.

The blue armband on the lower left sleeve indicates that the soldier, when in combat, was assigned "special duty" as an "Agent or Signalman".

There's a recent post (March 21, 2017) in the WW I Forum titled "AEF Special Duty Armbands & Stripes that provides more information on the armband.

For some reason the forum is not allowing me to post the link to that thread here, so anyone interested will have to do a search.

Lets see if this will take.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/286916-aef-special-duty-armbands-stripes/

Honestly, this looks like an effort by someone to restore/represent a specific uniform. Funky...but not original by any means.

The bright blue armband strikes me as somewhat unusual too....I've had groups with a darker blue armband....much less neon in color.....