Rare WWI Colt Model 1911 (1918) with very early 1913 Slide

kanemono

This is a rare WWI Colt Model 1911 Pistol from 1918 with the earlier version Colt Model 1911 Slide. The serial number on this Colt is 378,4XX which places the production of this pistol in the summer of 1918 as part of the Army’s last 1918 Colt 1911 contract of 319,746 pistols.

According to Colt shipment records, this Colt 1911 was in one of three shipments sent in July 1918 to the American Expeditionary Force Ordnance Officer at Bush Terminal in Brooklyn, New York for shipment to the AEF in France. The first shipment was on July 27, 1918, and comprised 10,000 pistols from serial number 374462 to 392635. The second shipment was on July 30, 1918, and comprised 2,500 pistols from serial number 375970 to 394636. There are no records available to indicate when the pistols arrived in France or to which units these pistols were issued. It is entirely reasonable to presume, however, that all of Colt's 1911 production from the spring of 1918 until the Armistice on November 11, 1918 was shipped as soon as was practicable from Colt's factory to the AEF in France since General Pershing and the rest of the Allies thought the war would continue well into 1919 until the Imperial German Army suddenly and desperately sought armistice talks when the political situation in Germany began to collapse in early November. Therefore, it is likely that this pistol, as a new Colt Model 1911, was sent to France approximately three and one half months prior to the end of WWI.

The left side of the receiver has the still crisply stamped, “UNITED STATES PROPERTY” stamp in sans serif type that is .06” tall. Also on the left side of the receiver, just above the magazine catch hole, is the correct Ordnance Department final inspection eagle, Type 1, with the “S11” stamp underneath. This stamp was double stamped at the time of inspection. The right side of the receiver has the correct sans serif “No[underlined] 378,419” all of which are still very crisply stamped. The Mainspring Housing is the correct Colt Type 1 with the smooth, straight profile and lanyard ring on the bottom and bevel at the lower edge. The Trigger is the correct long Colt Type 2 with smooth trigger face.

What makes this particular Colt Model 1911 Pistol unique, is the Slide. This Slide is a very scarce and very early Colt Model 1911 Slide. The left side of the slide has the second type patent and address markings. These markings remain crisply stamped. On the left side is the original Patent date of 1897 centered over the 1903, 1905 and1911 patent dates. In 1913, John Browning received an additional patent and this patent date of August 19, 1913 was added at around serial number 83,856 at the beginning of 1914. The Colt name and Hartford address to the right also remain crisply stamped. All of these stamps on the left side of the Slide are in serif type and in letters/numbers .06” tall. To the rear of the slide serrations on the left side is the Rampant Colt stamp without the circle. The Rampant Colt was enclosed in a circle from the beginning of production until approximately serial number 20,000, early in 1913. The Rampant Colt without a circle was then moved between the patent and address stamps around serial number 285,000. On the right side of the Slide is the correct “MODEL OF 1911. U.S.ARMY” stamp in serif letters .09” tall. This model stamp is also still crisply stamped.

This particular pistol was part of Colt’s last and, by far, largest order for the government and was produced at a time when significant pressure was being placed on Colt and other small arms manufacturers to increase production in anticipation of the summer and fall Allied offensives in France. It is known during this period that, because of the increased production demands, Colt used its Model 1911 Commercial Pistol slides, with commercial Colt markings, to complete government contract Model 1911 pistols. This particular slide was most probably one of the slides originally manufactured in 1913, which was excess to total 1913 production, which was only 22,400 completed pistols. When Colt was rushing to complete production runs in mid-1918, it grabbed any serviceable parts that were available, to include existing Colt Commercial slides and, in this case, an excess Army production slide from 5 years earlier. This slide was then finished in the same finish as the receiver, which was the then-approved Colt brushed blue finish, was assembled and then shipped out.

post-9487-0-75216900-1495296236_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-93248100-1495296247_thumb.jpg

Thank you, made me dig mine out, it is in 243xxx serial number range. Wish I knew more about this pistol.

Beautiful pistol, thank you for the pictures and information. I love the character it has; if only it could talk. Thanks for posting!

"The Rampant Colt was enclosed in a circle from the beginning of production until approximately serial number 20,000, early in 1913".

A close up of the circled Rampant Colt:
post-2830-0-95262100-1495723827_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous!! When was it shipped? Here is mine, not quite as nice, but carried by a named officer of the 317th IR in WWI. Replaced barrel, right mag. Shipped January 1913 to Benicia.

mccooper

post-151387-0-97755800-1495748959_thumb.jpg

mc. Shipped late 1912, don't remember the month. Mine was carried by an Artillery Major in WW1. It should have the keyhole mag but it has the first style mag with the exposed base. I am sure that is what it came home with from the War. Very nice 1911 and magazine you have. Nice example. Sorry about the small photo.

post-2830-0-69040300-1495749417.jpg

Keith-

Yours is just a gorgeous piece, and with provenance. A real keeper. Actually, I found the keyhole mag in a job lot box at an auction. It and a Springfield Armory mag were there - it went for $90. Gotta win one every once in awhile!

mccooper

Keith-

Yours is just a gorgeous piece, and with provenance. A real keeper. Actually, I found the keyhole mag in a job lot box at an auction. It and a Springfield Armory mag were there - it went for $90. Gotta win one every once in awhile!

mccooper

I like stories like that!