3 War AAA & FA Battalion CO plus USAAF patches

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

I picked up this grouping from an Artillery Colonel who lives in Hawaii, still kicking at 98 years old! By virtue of his advanced years, he's not able to reply to fill in some blanks on his service, so hopefully some of you can comment on his personal items I've come to possess.

The son of a career Army man and CAC officer, he was born in 1919 and entered the Army in 1939 as a newly minted CAC 2nd Lieutenant. He was posted to the 65th Coast Artillery in 1939 primarily engaged in Anti-Aircraft Artillery which was the emphasis of his 30 year career. His last active rank was Lieutenant Colonel and he was retired as a full Colonel.

J C E 001.jpg

J C E 005.jpg

J C E 006.jpg

Salvage Sailor

CAC fabric insignia and pin back no hallmark 65th CAC insignia.

Any thoughts on what era these are?

J C E 003.jpg

J C E 004.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Here's where the USAAF angle comes in. He had these with his keepsakes and I'm thinking that as a AAA officer, he was assigned to training USAAF personnel in 1942 and 1943

J C E 014.jpg

J C E 015.jpg

Common but original cut edge

J C E 016.jpg

J C E 017.jpg

Air University cut edge - Were AAA/CAC officers assigned to train at Air University?

J C E 018.jpg

J C E 019.jpg

He was a 1st LT (permanent) and temporary Captain in 42-43. Original 3rd Air Force patch, The continental USAAF training Air Force.

Circa 1942 patch?

J C E 020.jpg

J C E 021.jpg

He has no trail or record of Pacific service, but has a 5th Air Force patch. Looks original but not sure of the connection

J C E 022.jpg

J C E 023.jpg

Salvage Sailor

In 43-44 he's back with the AAA training recruits in Anti-Aircraft gunnery and tactics.

One of the nice items is a hand made direct fire training manual using pasted photographs. Here's a sampling

J C E 040.jpg

J C E 041.jpg

J C E 042.jpg

J C E 043.jpg

During his career, he developed several new sighting mechanisms which I'm certain came in handy later in Europe with his 2nd Armored Division service from Normandy to Germany.

J C E 044.jpg

J C E 045.jpg

J C E 046.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Here's another mystery item, 5th Army cut edge patch, but he was never in the MTO unless it figures into his later Korea/post-Korean service.

Anyone know the age of this patch?

J C E 024.jpg

J C E 025.jpg

Salvage Sailor

He shipped out to England in 1944 as a Major assigned to the advance force of 9th Army, G-2 section

Pinback ribbons and Jacket buttons. Still haven't a lead on the Bronze Star so it could be WWII or Korea. As for the star on the Victory ribbon, we've seen this before on other vet racks.

J C E 010.jpg

J C E 011.jpg

J C E 009.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Back with the Triple-A commanding an AAA (SP) Battalion, his BN was assigned to the 2nd Armored Division and remained with them from Normandy to the end in Germany.

At some point in he was associated with the 18th Airborne Corps, perhaps in the Bulge?

post-2322-0-56994800-1495245823.jpg

Original 1944 WWII patch and Airborne rocker I believe?

J C E 013.jpg

Salvage Sailor

These were also in the box of keepsakes, several different types of Major insignia, and also some airborne insignia.

These appear to be later fabric jump wings, Korea or post-Korea?

Are some of the Major oak leaves Korean made?

J C E 007.jpg

J C E 008.jpg

Salvage Sailor

In 1949 he was advanced to the permanent rank of Major and he served with the 7th Division in Korea, first as an AAA (SP) Battalion commander and then as a Field Artillery Battalion commander with the 7th ID

J C E 034.jpg

J C E 035.jpg

7th ID patch, Korean war removed from uniform

J C E 036.jpg

J C E 037.jpg

(2nd) 7th ID Korean war patch

J C E 038.jpg

J C E 039.jpg

Salvage Sailor

After his Korean service, he was promoted to LTC and assigned to the faculty of the US Army Command and General Staff College, specializing in Atomic Air Defense

He had three USAC&GS patches, all blue, not the red flame types normally seen. I'm thinking these are period 1958

J C E 026.jpg

J C E 027.jpg

One of his next posts was as Commander of the 82nd Division Artillery in 1965, and then a stint with Army Chief of Staff Intelligence, Department of the Army (ACSI, DA) He was sent as the head of an intelligence inspection committee to RVN in July of 1967 and retired after 30 years active duty service in 1969 as a full Colonel.

Closeup USAC&GS College circa 1958?

J C E 028.jpg

J C E 029.jpg

Salvage Sailor

There ya go, any comments or corrections would be appreciated, I'll return the favor if you have any USN queries. A last item which I'll probably post in the Ordnance section was this 1918 Grenade manual which may have been his fathers.

Manual for Hand Bombers and Rifle Grenadiers, July 1918 - Encompasses all types of US, French, German and British grenades in use in the trenches of World War One

J C E 047.jpg

J C E 049.jpg

J C E 056.jpg

J C E 052.jpg

doinworkinvans

I've always held the assumption that the star on the WWII victory was for enlistment prior to Pearl Harbor. Seems like I read that somewhere and I've always kept it as that. And in all the cases I've seen, it's matched up as is this case too.

268th C.A.

I have never heard that before, But I dont know it all for sure. My father enlisted in May of 1940. He always refered to the American Defence medal as a "Pre Pearl Harbor medal" I have often wondered about that battle star on the Victory ribbon ? He does not have one. Nor does his separation paper say he is entitled to one ? I'll follow this one for sure to see what others have to say. Thanks for bringing this up! Great question. Regards, David

My father was 5th. Army, 31st division and odd as it seems, his entire overseas service in WW2 was in the south pacific. Received battle stars for the liberation of New Guinea and the Philippines. So one can be 5th. army and have served in the PTO.

Salvage Sailor

I have never heard that before, But I dont know it all for sure. My father enlisted in May of 1940. He always refered to the American Defence medal as a "Pre Pearl Harbor medal" I have often wondered about that battle star on the Victory ribbon ? He does not have one. Nor does his separation paper say he is entitled to one ? I'll follow this one for sure to see what others have to say. Thanks for bringing this up! Great question. Regards, David

That was my understanding too, the added star was on the defense medal denoting pre-war service (which is missing from his ribbons, probably some others are missing too)

I've seen it theorized that the added star on the victory ribbon was put on for Korea (unofficial of course)

The campaign stars on his EAME would be the same as the 2nd Armored after June 11th, 1944

Normandy * Northern France * Rhineland * Ardennes-Alsace * Central Europe

Interesting that they appear to be different sizes

J C E 010.jpg

Salvage Sailor
On 5/20/2017 at 3:24 AM, Bluelabs2 said:

My father was 5th. Army, 31st division and odd as it seems, his entire overseas service in WW2 was in the south pacific. Received battle stars for the liberation of New Guinea and the Philippines. So one can be 5th. army and have served in the PTO.

I'm thinking that his 5th US Army patch is for a post-1957 assignment when the 5th Army was a training command headquartered in Chicago.

J C E 024.jpg

J C E 025.jpg

Nice grouping !

As for the bronze star on the WW2 medal, I have a 26th ID artilleryman with it. Joined the Army after Pearl Habor.

From what I read and understood, some combat units veterans used such a star on their WW2 medal to show they had won it on the frontline and not stateside, as every man serving at the end of WW2 would receive it.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor
On 5/19/2017 at 3:39 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Air University cut edge - Were AAA/CAC officers assigned to train at Air University?

Received the following info from a USAF vet friend and member via email in regard to Air University:

Afraid the I can't shed much light on why the Col. has so many USAAF and USAF patches, except that it would not have been at all unusual for a CAC officer to be assigned to the Air University as either faculty or student. The Air University was designated as such in March 1946 after being around in some form since 1920. By the way, AU patch was not approved until May 1948, several months after the USAF was separated from the Army, which narrows down the window of opportunity for Col. X's likely association with AU.

So his Air University duty would fit into his post-war assignments before/after Korea

J C E 018.jpg

J C E 019.jpg

• 2 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Bump for fresh eyes in regard to my questions on his cloth insignia, etc.