Is This An Original Kerr Sling or Reproduction?

AirMechanic

AirMechanic

I picked this sling up this morning and prior to doing some brief research, I did not even know what a Kerr sling was. With that said, I am not really sure if this sling is original or is a reproduction. I noticed that some of the rivets were split, so I believe that is a sign of a reproduction, but I am not 100% sure. Any thoughts on this on? Were any of the original slings marked U.S.? Any help is appreciated!

post-7244-0-32149700-1495220312_thumb.jpg

Robin is spot on. The metal parts of the sling on an original are heavily marked.

Not always.

The significant features here are the type of webb material and how the rivets are set. Original rivets will not typically be split like these when they are secured

• 4 weeks later...
FTLewisBrat

I was told by someone (can't remember who) that the rivets are a dead giveaway; rivets that are split = repo, rivets that have not split = "potentially" real.

Anyone know if that's accurate?

The WWII M3 'Thompson sling' is of the "no-buckle" type, but unmarked on the metal, and shorter in length than the "one size fits all" WWI "No-Buckle" sling used on M1903, M1917, and Russian M1891 rifles by the U.S.