Original Iwo Jima Photo Day 6

strawberry 9

strawberry 9

I was extremely happy to add this photo to my collection. There are a lot of interesting things in the photo. First off, it appears to be not to far from the beach as the soldiers are all seated/standing in black ash. There is also a twisted bit of metal in the foreground which would have been used to give vehicles traction to get off the beach. You can see wooden stakes with wire attached which makes me think this is either some sort of CP or maybe artillery position. There is various equipment strewn around such as camouflage raincoats and helmets. Finally, in the background you can see part of Mt. Suribachi!!! The back of the photo states that this is

D-Day +6 on Iwo Jima which would have been two days after the flag raising. The fact that some of the soldiers are standing would suggest that the area is at least somewhat secure. Unfortunately, I have no names to go with any of these soldiers. I'm guessing they are all Marines even though some are wearing USN N-4 field jackets. If anyone sees some other details I missed, please let me know. I wish I could post a larger image but hopefully this will do.

post-100432-0-94302800-1495067011.jpg

Back...

post-100432-0-16079700-1495067021.jpg

strawberry 9

A photo showing similar stakes at a CP on Iwo. Also, the position of Mt. Suribachi in this photo seems like it would be the same general area as my photo.

post-100432-0-07416800-1495067148.jpg

Blacksmith

Really neat picture, thanks for sharing. Hard to tell with that resolution, but I wonder if they're not all Navy. Helmet covers were pretty prolific with Marines on Iwo - not saying every Marine had one. Also, the man with an arrow over his head looks to have a light spot around the rim of his helmet. I can't tell if that's his chinstrap hooked at the back, or maybe a beach battalion stripe.

Edit: Nevermind, the higher resolution picture makes it clear that it was a shadow I was seeing on the helmet.

strawberry 9

Does the marston mat in the bottom right suggest that this was taken from near an air strip?

I was thinking it was used to get vehicles off the beach.

Blacksmith

The closest air strip to Suribachi was Airfield 1, which was about a mile away.

Does the marston mat in the bottom right suggest that this was taken from near an air strip?

The closest air strip to Suribachi was Airfield 1, which was about a mile away.

picture could be from the distance from how I'm looking at it, but it was just an observation

• 2 weeks later...
strawberry 9

For those of you who guessed that these were sailors...you were correct. The sailor who the arrow is pointing to is named Ernest Black. He served aboard the USS Cecil (APA-96). According to Wikipedia, the Cecil was an attack transport and saw action at Iwo Jima and Okinawa. The Cecil arrived off Iwo Jima on Feb. 19 and "as naval and air bombardment pounded the island, her men skillfully played their part. Remaining off the hard-fought beaches, Cecil completed unloading troops, cargo, and vehicles, and embarked casualties, with whom she sailed 28 February to Saipan."

post-100432-0-02017300-1495984040.jpg

stealthytyler

Really neat picture, thanks for sharing. Hard to tell with that resolution, but I wonder if they're not all Navy. Helmet covers were pretty prolific with Marines on Iwo - not saying every Marine had one. Also, the man with an arrow over his head looks to have a light spot around the rim of his helmet. I can't tell if that's his chinstrap hooked at the back, or maybe a beach battalion stripe.

Edit: Nevermind, the higher resolution picture makes it clear that it was a shadow I was seeing on the helmet.

Looks like his steel rim with no paint on it rather than a stripe. I don't think navy shore parties used stripes in the PTO.

• 1 month later...
strawberry 9

how about the guy on the stretcher looks like a son of nippon

We're is the stretcher? I'm not seeing it.

We're is the stretcher? I'm not seeing it.

I think they mean the one you posted of the Marines wearing Navy jackets

• 2 weeks later...