Help needed to fix male end of snap on WWII MKII leather sheath

Catfishcraig

Catfishcraig

The male end of the snap broke off of a MKII leather sheath I own. The break is in the center of the snap and with some good glue or apoxy I think I can bond the two parts of the male end back together. Anyone have a good suggestion about the adhesive I should use? The snap is made of brass and if done in small quantity I was hoping it would hold good enough to allow the male end to work and not look too bad. The back of the male end is still attached to the strap.

Thanks for any help one might suggest.

Craig

268th C.A.

A small drop of Gorilla glue will work. let it sit. I usually leave my knife sheaths unsnaped. And I never snap some one else's knife back, at shows either. For just that reason. There 75 years old. Good luck!

I replaced one with new snap from Tandy. It wasn't any way around it. It looks good and you would have too look at it good to know.

Catfishcraig

Thank you!

The snap was broke when I bought it and fortunately one part of the male end was snapped in place of the female and the other was still stuck to the leather strap.

Thanks again

Craig

Spent 25 years as a police firearms instructor.In my range box was a small tube of silicone grease(the clear kind,not lubriplate).A little dab on the male stud allowed the copper spring part of the female snap to go on or release easier taking the stress off the snap and the leather. A very little dab will do ya. May save you from breaking the snap or tearing the leather.

Catfishcraig

Craig

If I had the scabbard I could set a new snap in place.

Thanks Ron!

The glue trick worked and it looks and functions fine. I'll just leave it unsnapped to prevent any other issues.