WW2 USMC Camillus Fighting Knives

Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz

I recently picked up the USMC Camillus fighting knife that came with the USMC stamped scabbard in this picture. The knife itself is marked on the blade just like 2 other WW2 era Camillus fighting knives I have, one being veteran sourced many moons ago. I always assumed this style to be of WW2 vintage, but the new one in the USMC scabbard was bought from a Marine vet from the 60-70's era who says he got it then. I was under the impression that the USMC stamped scabbards were post war civilian market items too... which I'm still 99% sure they are.

My question is are these USMC blade marked fighting knives of WW2 vintage or post war? When did Camillus stop making them with the parkerized blade and raw leather stacked handles?

post-115-0-18310400-1495050784_thumb.jpg

Schnicklfritz

Thanks for the link. I looked at his webpage, but for some reason didn't see the Camillus link. Humm, I have to look at the other because I thought I had pictured the vet sourced one in these pics.... hopefully I have the wrong one!

Agree, besides the false edge the stamping on the blades also show them to be recent production. these knives from Camillus are stock numbered as 5685 by the 1994 catalog. In 1992 they were producing a high polished blued blade commemorative knife with gold leaf and the U.S.M.C. stamp.

The stapled sheath looks correct for a WW2 example.

Catfishcraig

Thanks for the link. I looked at his webpage, but for some reason didn't see the Camillus link. Humm, I have to look at the other because I thought I had pictured the vet sourced one in these pics.... hopefully I have the wrong one!

I would agree both knives are post WWII production and from the one provided picture the sheath on the right appears to be WWII era .

Schnicklfritz

Look on Franks Reproduction Recognition Page. The eighth link listed is Camillus

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/reproductions.htm

The unmarked sheath does look real, maybe somewhere down this line the original knife was lost or broken?? Who knows

Happy Hunting

Craig

After looking at my knives last night when I got home, I accidentally mixed them up between the 3 when I was looking at them and taking photos I believe. The 3rd one is indeed the WW2 version. Didn't know they made a recent version of the WW2 fighting knife. I have a couple of Vietnam era versions that I use in the woods. Thanks for the information and help!