Ww2 helmet bullet hole

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

Hello, I literally just won this helmet in eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391774806047

It was actually an accident. I instead of $128 I bid $1280 in the last 3 seconds

I really didn't want to spend $200 on it.

What are your thoughts on it before I decide what I'm going to do?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as the battle damage? It doesn't feel right to me. It looks like a large caliber round, maybe a pistol, though it seems to big for a 9mm. Bullet is clean through without much slowing, so I'm thinking no one was wearing it. Liner isn't showing evidence of a headwound either. I can't speak to the rest of it.

trenchfoot

What bothers me is the other shallow bullet hole dent next to the one that went through. That would be highly unlikely to be there if this was a battle damaged helmet. Looks like someone used this for target practice.

Screamingeagles101

What bothers me is the other shallow bullet hole dent next to the one that went through. That would be highly unlikely to be there if this was a battle damaged helmet. Looks like someone used this for target practice.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

It is often hard to say what is or isnt actual battle damage and how or what caused the damage.Impact of kinetic energy can to strange things and no two will be alike.The size of the projectile(or shrapnel) the velocity it achieved or expended before being stopped will vary the hole or the damage.With this helmet if it was shot say with a .45 caliber round at a several feet it may have just dented it.Move closer and then the round may have gone through.

With out documentation or some other facts most helmets you can figure were targets at some time in theie post war life.One local vet told me how during the war he and a buddy would set german helmets on something(like vehichles and shoot a hole or two in them and send them back to relatives and friends.

Dents in the tops of helmets are generally from two things....punding tent stake as the helet was used as a hammer or the soldier put a dent in it so it would sit in one position an no rok or roll when used as a wash bsin for shaving etc.

I posted a battle damaged helmet I have and there wasnt really any mess in the liner.The Marine survived.Finding his name on the liner was pure luck and chance.It confirmed he as wounded and I later ordered his records.

stealthytyler

Looks like someone was testing ballistics and shot it with a small caliber (dent) then a larger caliber (hole). Its a WWII helmet but no way to prove the damage was caused in battle.

Screamingeagles101

It is often hard to say what is or isnt actual battle damage and how or what caused the damage.Impact of kinetic energy can to strange things and no two will be alike.The size of the projectile(or shrapnel) the velocity it achieved or expended before being stopped will vary the hole or the damage.With this helmet if it was shot say with a .45 caliber round at a several feet it may have just dented it.Move closer and then the round may have gone through.

With out documentation or some other facts most helmets you can figure were targets at some time  in theie post war life.One local vet told me how during the war he and a buddy would set german helmets on something(like vehichles and shoot a hole or two in them and send them back to relatives and friends.

Dents in the tops of helmets are generally from two things....punding tent stake as the helet was used as a hammer or the soldier put a dent in it so it would sit in one position an no rok or roll when used as a wash bsin  for shaving etc.

I posted a battle damaged helmet I have and there wasnt  really any mess in the liner.The Marine survived.Finding his name on the liner was pure luck and chance.It confirmed he as wounded and I later ordered his records. 

Well said. That's just it, without some form of documentation or provenance, it's impossible to prove it was done in battle. I already told the seller about my mistake. Hope he understands

This is th one I mentioned

When I saw it it really spoke to me.I knew it was a combat helmet and had a story.The chin strap being tied in a knot is something I had seen on a few occasions on combat worn helmets.The damage wasnt typical of something I had encountered other than on german helmets hit by shrapnel or large caliber projectiles.There was no grand story to go with it or a sales pitch to sell it.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/144261-if-only-it-could-speak/?hl=wren

Hello, I literally just won this helmet in eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391774806047

It was actually an accident. I instead of $128 I bid $1280 in the last 3 seconds

I really didn't want to spend $200 on it.

What are your thoughts on it before I decide what I'm going to do?

Thanks!

maybe you could explain to the seller the bid was an accident, and you didnt mean to bid that high? since you actually typed the wrong amount?

and they might understand and cancel the sale

I think it's somebody's target helmet they used for testing, one dent looks like a weaker handgun rd hit, and the large hole looks like a more powerful large caliber hit from some other gun, possibly a large caliber magnum load from a handgun or rifle?

it's not worth $200 IMO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-M-1-FIXED-BAIL-HELMET-WITH-INSIGNIA-LINER-amp-BULLET-HOLES-/391774806047?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=noziEQ0AgoEUe0uHPkEUDqt1dXo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

post-1885-0-35903500-1494949330_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I just don't like 'death helmets' and won't have them in my collection. Just my personal choice.

Larry

Sorry, I just don't like 'death helmets' and won't have them in my collection. Just my personal choice.

Larry

just because a helmet shows damage such as this doesn't mean someone died while wearing it, could have been hit by a bullet while not on the wearers head.

But in all honesty a "death helmet" just shows what these men went through. And it's part of their history whether it's ​a good or bad story... But I understand why you don't want one, and I do kind of hope people don't seek them out