What's the 1st Marine Div patch story?

Flightpath

Flightpath

Hi,

can someone please tell me why the 1st Marine Division patch was changed from the snake to the '1', (that's if there is a story), any date for the change and when they stopped wearing the patch after the war.

Here's my two, I like to get patches that have been used but still ok, they have machine holes all around and left over threads.

cheers and thanks in advance , John

post-105780-0-94502200-1494882606_thumb.jpg

The "Coral Snake" patch was actually an unofficial design worn by some 2nd Division troops. It was never approved because only part of the Division saw action at Guadalcanal and the official design was already being produced.

Flightpath

The "snake" is a early patch for the 2nd Division.

Thanks TLeo and Ragpick,

that's what I've thought for the past few months, then (me being new this this topic) read 'first' this and that........ and the mix-up happened.....

When did the change happen and when did the patches stop being worn after the war?

Here's my official 2nd Division patch.........

cheers, John

post-105780-0-27652100-1494886560_thumb.jpg

If I recall correctly it was 1947 (possibly earlier) that regulations changed to not allow division patches.

firefighter

I have seen Army uniforms with the 2nd Div, snake patch, worn on the sleeve.I can not recall what division it was though.I wonder if it was just worn by Army personnel or has any one seen a Marine wearing one?

The unit that wore the snake 2nd MarDiv Guadacanal patch was a combined Army and Marine unit, CAM. CAM was an acronym for Combined Army-Marine Division, and was active only on Guadacanal for a short time. Have seen Army uniforms with the Americal patch wore as an SSI and the CAM patch worn as a cuff patch. In the OD 2016 issue of The Trading Post, we pubbed a pic of a named soldier wearing this 2nd Mar Div patch as his SSI on the left shoulder.

We also pubbed a pic of a Marine in his dress blues wearing the UA 2nd Mar Div snake patch....AJ 2002 Trading Post.

• 8 months later...

We also pubbed a pic of a Marine in his dress blues wearing the UA 2nd Mar Div snake patch....AJ 2002 Trading Post.

Is it possible that you post these 2 images?? I'm sure there are many that would like to see verified. Trading Post.

Thanks