What are the Rarest WWII USMC Patches

BOB K. RKSS

VMF 144 DEATH DEALERS Patch 2nd Design: Recently sold on Ebay. Designed by CO Capt. Robert Stout in 1943, the 1st design was an embroidered Australian made patch issued to Flight personnel only. The 2nd design was silk screened on canvas material and issued to all, purportedly when they ceased combat operations and returned to the states.

World War II

Marine Fighter Squadron 114 was activated on July 11, 1943 at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro. They remained on the West Coast of the United States until August 1943 when they transferred to Marine Corps Air Station Ewa, Hawaii. In Hawaii, they continued their training until moving to Midway Island on December 18, 1943. They returned to Ewa in February 1944 and in March they moved first to Espiritu Santo and the Green Island. While there, they flew strike missions against Japanese garrisons that had been bypassed in the Bismarck Islands.

The first major combat that VMF-114 took part in was the Battle of Peleliu. The squadron arrived on Peleliu on September 17, 1944 and provided most of the close air support (CAS) for Marine Corps forces during the course of the battle. They also provided the preparatory bombing and CAS for the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines when they assaulted Ngesebus during the battle. The terrain on the island, earlier judged unsuitable for anything but the costliest and most difficult advances, was made passable with the aid of preparatory fire-scouring by napalm bombs from 114. MajGen William H. Rupertus, the Commanding General of the 1st Marine Division on Peleliu would say following the battle that the air support provided during the campaign was, "executed in a manner leaving little to be desired. Following the battle, they remained based on the island again assuming the role of attacking bypassed Japanese garrisons in the vicinity of the western Caroline Islands. The squadron remained in the area until they ceased combat operations on June 1, 1945.

post-3673-1334721633.jpg

The banner at the bottom is usually devoid of "DEATH DEALERS". It is present on the Australian embroiderd patch, but not included in the silkscreened version. However, that did not stop marines from adding it to the patch. I have seen it on one other vmf 114 patch in black.

post-3673-1334721901.jpg

VMB 423 Patch 1ST Design, SHEEP RIDING BOMB Decal on Leather: Originally designed in 1943, it was soon discarded when it was learned there was another squadron with the same mascot, the BLACK SHEEP SQUADRON VMF 214. An extremely hard patch to find....

VMB-423 was commissioned on 15 September 1943 at Cherry Point, NC. In October 1943 squadron was transferred to Edenton, NC, and upon completion of training, departed for El Centro, CA in December 1943, arriving on 3 January 1944. The ground echelon embarked and sailed aboard the USS Hammondsport, arriving at Espiritu Santo 11 March 1944. Sailing with their aircraft aboard the USS Prince William, the flight echelon arrived and rejoined the ground echelon one month later. My middle of May 1944 the flight echelon was operating from Sterling Island but was transferred on 21 June 1944 for Green Island to rejoin the ground echelon which had arrived from Espiritu Santo. Over the next year, VMB423 carried out both daylight and nighttime attacks against targets on New Britain and New Ireland and provided close air support strikes for Australian troops on Bougainville. By middle of June 1945 squadron redeployed northward and was operating from Emirau. On 10 August 1945, the squadron was once again reassigned northward to Malabang in the Philippines, arriving on 16 August 1945, just as war ended. VMB-423 was decommissioned at Miramar, CA on 30 November 1945 following the squadron's return to the United States. Credit website vmf423.net

post-3673-1334724815.jpg

The SHEEP RIDING BOMB was followed by another decal on leather patch for the vmb 423, representing a SEAHORSE and has been previously shown in this thread, but included to show the succession of patches...

post-3673-1334725221.jpg

VMO-155 WWII Squadron Patch: The Ready Teddys unit patch, based on a 40s comic character, was a decal on leather patch. John Glenn was pilot with the VMO-155 and arrived on Majuro Atoll (Marshall Islands) in July of 1944 and operated for 4 months before moving on. Coincidentally, my dad was also stationed on Majuro during that time period as a radio operator with the 4th MAW HQ. A few years ago I relayed that little trivial tidbit of informatin to my dad, to which he replied, " It is too bad the SOB (Glenn)" did not get to meet me (my dad), LOL". My dad is from Hillsboro, Ohio and Glenn is from New Concord, Ohio. It is highly likely that if they had met during that time, it would have been an interesting discussion... :thumbsup:

HISTORY: Marine Observation Squadron 155 (VMO-155) was activated on October 1, 1942 as part of Marine Aircraft Group 13. The squadron was initially based in American Samoa and its first personnel came from VMSB-151. Their first complement of aircraft were SBC Helldiver biplane dive bomber and the J2F-5 Duck amphibious biplane. In December 1942, the bulk of the squadrons personnel were sent to Guadalcanal where they were assigned as replacements. A small cadre of six officers and fifteen enlisted men were retained in the squadron and ordered to Camp Kearny in San Diego, California to re-equip and train.

Beginning in January 1943, VMO-155 began training on the F4F-3P Wildcat, a fighter specifically designed for photographic reconnaissance. During this time they also began receiving their carrier qualifications. In April 1943, with their training complete, a detachment from the squadron was ordered aboard the USS Nassau (CVE-16) to participate in the invasion of Attu in the Aleutian Islands. This operation made them the first Marine squadron to operate from an aircraft carrier during World War II and the only Marine squadron to operate in the North Pacific.[1] Following the Operation in the Aleutians, the detachment rejoined the squadron in June 1943 and quickly moved to Marine Corps Air Station El Centro for further training. In February 1944, VMO-155 moved to Midway Atoll and became part of the local garrison. After four months on Midway, they were sent to Marine Corps Air Station Ewa, Hawaii. From MCAS Ewa, the squadron was again split up. This time the ground echelon was sent to Kwajalein and the flight echelon went to Roi. From these locations, for the rest of the war, the squadron took part in strikes against the Marshall Islands.

On January 31, 1945, VMO-155 was redesignated Marine Fighting Squadron 155 (VMF-155). The squadron was deactivated on October 15, 1945, shortly after the cessation of hostilities with Japan

post-3673-1335025017.jpg

• 1 month later...

VMF(N)-542 Squadron Patch: Silk screened on canvas with embroidered edge (PX patch) recently sold on EBAY for $611.00. Definitely a difficult patch to find from a night fighter squadron.

Reference post #298 for information.

post-3673-1337900151.jpgpost-3673-1337900194.jpg

VMO-4 USMC "Artillery Spotting": Patch embroidered on cotton cloth and recently sold on EBAY for $246.00. It may not be a fighter squadron, but it is a great patch!

VMO-4 was activated on 20 December 1943 at Quantico, VA. It initially carried the designation (ASD)VMO-951, but this was changed to VMO-4 on 15 January 1944. The squadron began initial VMO-training at Quantico, then moved to the West Coast for advanced training prior. Further training took place in Hawaii with the 4th Marine Division, then VMO-4 deployed with the Division and participated in the assault and capture of Saipan and Tinian.

After refitting in Hawaii, VMO-4 sailed for Guam in January 1945 in preparation for the Iwo Jima operation. VMO-4 flew missions over Iwo Jima from 26 February to 19 March 1945, then returned to Hawaii, where it remained through the end of the war. After the war's end, VMO-4 relocated to San Diego, and deactivated on 21 October 1945. The squadron had earned a Presidential Unit Citation (Saipan/Tinian operations) and a Navy Unit Commendation (Iwo Jima), in addition to the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Streamer with two bronze stars, and the World War Two Victory Streamer.

Reference post #217 for separately sold patch and information.

post-3673-1337900850.jpgpost-3673-1337900830.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Squadron patch of VMF(N)-513, the 'FLYING NIGHTMARES' of the Korean war era. As a guess I'd say made in Japan. Obtained directly from a squadron pilot.

Adam

post-2607-1344571593.jpg

• 1 month later...

VMF 121 Patch 1st Issue Australian Embroidered on Wool: Here is patch that came up on Ebay and listing ended because item was no longer for sale. I fortunately retrieved some photos and what you have is a rare 1st issued VMF 121 patch, Australian made with a twist. Purportedly only made for flight personnel, the only example I have seen (reference Millstein's book) had "V-M-F" on the bottom. This patch instead has the later "VMF 121" at the bottom, usually seen on the US embroidered patches. What is cool here is that you can see the original outline of some of the insignia markings traced on the wool prior to embroidering and under the VMF 121 there is a faint V M F. The reverse side is classic Australian embroidered. Simply Awesome! The color of the wool is a chocolate; Millstein's photo is off colored and not true to the chocolate it should be. In these photos, the patch looks somewhat wide, but I have seen that before and usually a photography issue. There have to be more of these out there. Post 'em if you got them...

post-3673-1348616907.jpg

• 2 months later...

I just started collecting Navy and Marine aviation about five years ago. Here is some pictures from a grouping for a pilot who flew combat in Korea. I am new to the forum so it may take a couple of replies to get all of the pictures in.

Paul

post-91444-0-08787200-1355596314_thumb.jpg

post-91444-0-81822800-1355596349_thumb.jpg

That particular patch is not marked. I am going to include scans of the backs of the patches and a couple more patches that came with this grouping. He was also in the Oct 1952 edition of the Naval Aviation News and the St. Louis Post Dispatch for landing his plane after a mission with the wing almost completely blow off. His unit I believe flew out of K-6. The unit also won a Presidential Unit Citation. I did a little research right after I got the group but have not been ablle to go back to it yet to lay out his time in Korea. I believe his unit won the tag of dropping the most munitions in a single ever in the history of combat, but it has been a while so I do not remember. I had a couple of requests wondering if I would be willing to part with this grouping. Quite possibly some time in the future but not at this time--my primary collection is USAF aviation. Paul

post-91444-0-74572900-1355666321_thumb.jpg

post-91444-0-34068800-1355666338_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Ok here's one for the experts: I came across this photo while surfing through USMC images on google. It's former commandant General Krulak in dress blues at what looks like a reenlistment ceremony or promotion. He appears to wearing some sort of sleeve insignia but I have no idea what it is. Ideas? http://www.defense.gov/DODCMSShare/NewsStoryPhoto/1998-06/hrs_9806183c.jpg

I'm no expert but I think that it is a French Marine NCO Rank so it may be an honorary rank, background looks to be spring or summer in a European village, maybe June commemoration of some famous battle??? :huh: HMMMMmm Possibly Belleau Wood so I think French Marine. Soooo not rare.

post-5224-0-64201200-1380431253.jpg

Would anybody have an idea about the design of the VMF-122 insigna displayed on that F4U-1 from VMF-213 ? Have you seen it on a shoulder patch or else ?

(Picture © B.Rocker archives via Replica in Scale )

Thanks !

VMF-213+F4U-1+at+Munda.jpg