What are the Rarest WWII USMC Patches

BOB K. RKSS

Let's say that the rarest WWII USMC Patches are Raider, & Paramarine. In Your experience, what are the other rarest, or hardest to find USMC Patches?

Bob,

I would say any of the Aussie made patches are pretty rare or Marine Squadron patches.The two on my personal list would be the 1st MAC Half Track Bn(Aussie made) or original IDd VMF 214 Blacksheep patch.

RON

pathfinder505
Bob,

I would say any of the Aussie made patches are pretty rare or Marine Squadron patches.The two on my personal list would be the 1st MAC Half Track Bn(Aussie made) or original IDd VMF 214 Blacksheep patch.

RON

I got a feeling those are worth a bit more than a raider patch.

It's my understanding that the patch you refer to as "1st MAC Half Track Bn" was worn by the special weapons platoons. The platoons were parceled out to various Marine ground forces. But I agree, it's about the rarest of the rare (Aussie made, woven).

The Marines used the M-3s and none of the Army SP TD weapons platforms; e.g., M-10, M-18, M-36.

If one of the Marine gurus knows for certain there was a "1st MAC Half Track Bn", PLEASE let us know.

It's my understanding that the patch you refer to as "1st MAC Half Track Bn" was worn by the special weapons platoons. The platoons were parceled out to various Marine ground forces. But I agree, it's about the rarest of the rare (Aussie made, woven).

The Marines used the M-3s and none of the Army SP TD weapons platforms; e.g., M-10, M-18, M-36.

If one of the Marine gurus knows for certain there was a "1st MAC Half Track Bn", PLEASE let us know.

Dave,

Thanks for the post.I couldnt remember what the called them during WW2.I did read something on a site where the Special Weapons Platoon was assigned to a Marine unit on Guadalcanal.I think the term I used is collectors speak.Thanks again for the clairfication.I have an old ASMIC trading post somewhere with the insignia but cant put my hands on it.

RON

I'm asking about standard USMC issue embroidered patches (not variations, or special made small group patches). I'm thinking, some of the rarer patches are: Marine Raider, ParaMarine, Marine Detachment Iceland, Marine Detachment Londonderry, 4th Marine Defense Air Wing, FMF Pacific Dog platoon, Marine Ship Detachment, FMF Pacific Artillery Bn.. Can we put together a list of rarest on down to the most common? Like: what is the rarest Marine Air Wing; etc.?

teufelhunde.ret

I suspect these - remaining on an original unmolested tunic would rank right need the top, info from the ASMIC web site:

The REAL 1st Marine Brigade Polar Bear Patch, by Jim Flowers

flowers1.jpg

I have seen quite a few “original” U.S. Marine Polar Bear insignia being offered in on-line auctions recently, and wanted to set the record straight. I have yet to see an “original” one offered - I was a member of the 1st Marine Brigade stationed in Iceland, and wore the patch. My original patch is depicted in Figure 1. For future auctions, please note the thick embroidery of the polar bear and the iceberg; the shape of the iceberg, the sparse black details and their location, and compare these details to the flat machine embroidered samples offered currently. Our patches also had padding worn between them and our uniforms.

We wore only patches embroidered on felt; nothing painted, nothing on silk or gabardine. I am strictly speaking only about embroidered polar bear patches. If an on-line or other auction or catalog patch doesn’t look like mine, it’s most likely NOT original.

The patches were embroidered on wool, and issued in pairs, as a goodwill gesture by the British commander Major General H.O. Curtis. We had to remove the patches upon leaving Iceland. (Figures 2-3)

Briefly, the 1st Marine Brigade was activated in the U.S. June 15, 1941. The brigade arrived in Iceland July 7, 1941, with 4,000 Marines. The mission was to support the British against anticipated German attacks. Following the attack on Pearl Harbor, the 1st Marine Brigade began to be rotated back to the U.S. and replaced by the U.S. Army’s 5th infantry Division. The brigade returned home by March 1942.

Garth Thompson

You would need to add the US Marine Corps Recruiting patch, the Cape Gloucester tab and 1st Marines (aussie made) tabs to the list.

Not to start a firestorm here but the Marine Detachment Iceland patch is actually the patch of the British 43rd (West Riding) Division who were on garrison duty with the Marines on Iceland at the same time. Out of respect for the USMC the british divisional commander (MG H.O.Curtis) awarded the patch to the Marines as an honorarium. This would be why it had to be removed when the detachment left Iceland. The "heads down" bear was the design used by the brits at that time. In 1943 the bear went "heads up" to form a more defiant pose.

Garth

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another one that has not been mentioned, and that is the Makin Island raider patch, worn just for that raid. Had seen one on display at an Army and Navy collectibles store in Tampa outside MacDill. The patch is the skull featured on the raider "Death Cards" with the skull which have been reproduced and you see occasionally at shows;originals of the card I believe to be very rare not to mention the patch. Any way my pick. Mort

• 3 months later...
Point well made, hence my comment about an unmolested period tunic, attributed with name and of course with provenance ;)

Dear all / teufelhunde.ret,

I have a big collection of Iceland related WWII items. I have an unmolested, named, USMC dress uniform set with the Polar bear patches still

on the jacket. It came from a museum that was closing down. Its pre war dated on the inside.

I also have the green wool type uniform lot, hat, coat, jacket and pants. The polar bear patches had been removed from the shoulders, but one

had been re attached to the left lower shoulder, next to the year of service stripe, and the second patch I found in one of the pockets.

Should there be any interest, I can take some better photos and post here, or in a new post.

teufelhunde.ret, can you pleaes contact me? I tired to send you a message, but I get a red error massge saying I cant send messages or emails.

General John C. Marston photo in Iceland, from an Icelandic WWII book. I beleive I have this jacket in my collection:

Regards

Hinrik Steinsson

Curator

Aviation and War History museum (project)

Reykjavik Iceland

www.ww2.is

post-5556-1234647424.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Based on price alone (this finished ebay last night selling for $1882), this may be the rarest WW2 aviation patch. I presume it is acredited to one of the VMD squadrons from that period. s/f Darrell

5f86_1.jpg _BMYtf5_Bmk___KGrHgoOKj4EjlLm_n4WBJkKb_bKi____1.jpg