Help w/ Garand Stock

Red Devil

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a little assistance here. I received my first M1 from CMP last week and am in the process of going through each part and identifying. The receiver is a SA from mid '43 and barrel from '44. The stock has me a little stumped and I'd like some help identifying its manufacturer.

I've been poring over this website on identifying stocks, and based on the photos I think the lower stock might be a Winchester. It's double proof-marked, including the boxed P that I believe indicates a rebuild. The long channel and rounded op rod cut, along with V-shaped notch seem consistent with a Winchester. Though the wood is light, I think it's walnut. The rifle came with a birch front hand guard, and all wood was shellacked to a high sheen. I cannot make out any other stamps on the stock.

Please let me know what you think! Thank you for any input.

Johannes

post-9214-0-71222100-1494779059_thumb.jpg

post-9214-0-15923600-1494779065.jpg

post-9214-0-01507900-1494779074_thumb.jpg

Last ones. Please let me know if there are other shots that would help with identification!

Thank you again!

post-9214-0-50328100-1494779123_thumb.jpg

post-9214-0-85052000-1494779128_thumb.jpg

Joe-- not seeing one. The only marks I can make out are the proof marks below the trigger.

Oh gosh. That shallack hurts my eyes. Nice piece though!

You and me both, and thank you!. I do plan on a summer project of restoring this one. Currently on the hunt for a walnut front handguard.

Ok, have you tried using a magnifying glass? It may be that the stock was sanded down (or replaced). The cartouche identifies the ordnance officer that accepts the finished weapon. The "P" indicates that the weapon passed the proof firing test.

Joe

oldfireguy

Looking through Canfield's book that does look like a WRA stock but the go to guy is Rick Borecky. If you do FaceBook he frequents the M1 Garand sites and will tell you yes or no.