Helmet grouping from Aleutian Campaign

SEABEE SON

SEABEE SON

Here is a grouping from Thomas R. Yeoman, USN. He passed away in 2012. He was a Seabee in the Aleutian Campaign. He was a storekeeper third class in the Aleutians, and probably was in a position to trade for this Japanese helmet from Attu, named to "Hanada". He later became an Ensign and served on the USS San Jacinto (CVL-30) as "R"-section officer, Assistant Damage Control Officer. So this helmet likely was worn aboard the carrier, if not before. A medical bolo knife came along with the helmets. It is dated 1944.

I collected Aleutian Campaign items, primarily Japanese. This is my third (and possibly fourth) Attu helmet, and by far the nicest. No sign of battle damage, unlike the others.

First, Ensign Yeoman's helmet.

post-101060-0-60143700-1494734665_thumb.jpg

post-101060-0-34913300-1494734668_thumb.jpg

SEABEE SON

The rest of the grouping.

post-101060-0-02659100-1494734932_thumb.jpg

post-101060-0-71909400-1494734934_thumb.jpg

I should mention that the heat number on the McCord shell is 160B. It is a Hawley liner.

SEABEE SON

I was also able to find a picture of Mr. Hanada, the unfortunate owner of the Japanese helmet. He was a Lance Corporal from Osaka.

He was killed on Attu. I have a rare Japanese memorial book published during the war that features pictures and brief biographies of every Japanese soldier in that battle.

post-101060-0-30791000-1494735161.jpg

Very nice, i only have one Alaska attributable helmet but it doesn't come with a Japanese partner.

Very cool.

Brian Keith

That is really an incredible group, US and Japanese ID'd pair of helmets! Thanks for posting it. Well done on finding the info on the Japanese soldier.

BKW

sgtdorango

Great grouping and having all that research really adds to it especially the japanese helmets info...incredible for sure...mike

Wow! That's an amazing grouping! Aleutians campaign stuff isn't easily found, and this is certainly an outstanding grouping!

Very nice!

Rick