An Interesting Folding Machete... HELP !

GUMP

I would like some assistance, please, to identify (and possibly to value) this interesting machete that I recently came across.

At first glance, I thought it was German because of the bakelite handle and the blued blade. However, upon closer inspection, I saw that it has the IMPERIAL trademark on the blade ricasso, so it must be American... but what for? Is this a military-issue piece? Is it part of a survival kit?

Any input is sure to be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

post-154247-0-95364300-1494613741_thumb.jpg

pararaftanr2

As issued, these came in a leather sheath with a sharpening stone. Although usually sold as being "WW2", I believe the part number on the sheath indicates they date from 1948.

post-9787-0-59447700-1494615872_thumb.jpg

I agree with the assessments, fiscal year 1947 is the part number, which means it was adopted in late 1946 or early 1947. The issuance of this machete probably wasn't until 1948-1949 at the earliest. I would like to add that it's design origins stem from WWII, in 1944. By the summer of of 1944 the USAAF was transitioning its concepts of what emergency and sustenance equipment should be, during multiple field tests the handle of the standard 10-inch folding machete proved problematic. Over time it evolved into this pattern.. The intended purpose, hence the holster, was designed to be used in conjunction with the Type C-1 vest, not as a component accessory issued with it but rather a supplemental item time stored in the emergency kit aboard the airplane. a compliment to the vest if you will. By the time of its implementation it was a dinosaur, meaning it was no longer a required tool. The jet age ushered in technological advancements namely electronics for distress signaling, and advanced rescue techniques by the helicopter. A machete was no longer really necessary or a military requirement. If the situation was more complex, equipment could be parachuted in having better tools to sustain life. It is likely not many of these Type A-1 machetes got circulated much.

Brian Keith

Great answer Dustin! Love info like that! Thanks for taking the time to post it. Great Thread.

BKW

, fiscal year 1947 is the part number, which means it was adopted in late 1946 or early 1947. The issuance of this machete probably wasn't until 1948-1949 at the earliest.

I made an error. The drawing and/or part number is 48C3639, that's fiscal year 1948 (late 1947 to early 1948 of adoption)

So what I know about this machete is from development during WWII, and its intended purpose. But my document trail stops just prior to its adoption. I'm curious if anyone has any government literature calling out or illustrating this machete?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Pardon the late reply ...

I have one of these and also have the prior folding version, both were ebay purchases.

As a test I used this model to trim foliage in the backyard in summer 2019.

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

It is a cross between a long knife and a machete, meaning it has the swing of a machete, but the weight of a hunting knife, having a near-quarter inch thick spine (yep, 'real thick')

It trimmed 2-3" diameter tree branches in about three strikes and handled everything else with single-stroke ease.

-