Signed Copy of "30 Seconds Over Tokyo"

Rakkasan187

Rakkasan187

I picked up this copy of "30 Seconds Over Tokyo" almost 25 years ago at a used bookstore. Didn't think too much about it at the time and placed it in my storage facility until two days ago. I rediscovered the book and also found that it had been signed by the parents of one of the Doolittle Raiders, William J. Dieter.

Corporal William J Dieter was born October 5, 1912. He was killed in action during the Doolittle Raid. He was the bombardier on Plane # 6. He drowned when the plane went down. His body was buried near the crash site. The other enlisted crewmember also died and the remainder of the crew became POW's. Only one survived the war.

The book was signed by Mrs. Dieter and J.T. Dieter (Jessie Thomas Dieter, father) to a woman named Lois. The Dieter's expressed love and hopes that Bill would soon be back..

Now there has been much here in the office today about who Lois was.. A family friend, relative, neighbor whose son also coincidentally was named Bill??

Not too sure if we will ever know but I thought I would share this with everyone.

Leigh

post-5554-0-02330500-1494518537.jpg

post-5554-0-14477800-1494518572_thumb.jpg

Rakkasan187

Finally, The dedication page that showed William's name underlined and the name "Bill" written next to it..

Again not too sure who Lois was but could her son have been named Bill as well and the Dieter's knew the family and their William knew "Bill"..

Enjoy..

Comments welcome..

Leigh

post-5554-0-19906300-1494518885.jpg

Garandomatic

Very poignant. I hesitate to say cool, obviously, because I don't think I could do that same as the Dieters if it was my little boy. I figured you were posting a copy that had been signed by Lawson or etc., but this is in some ways more interesting.

RustyCanteen

Such a sad inscription, worried but patiently waiting and holding out hope like so many mothers and families back then. I know it was inadvertent, but it is extra poignant that Mother's Day is only a couple of days away. A good reminder, of a brave man and his loving family.

RIP to Cpl. Dieter, and his parents as well.

Thank you for sharing it. It is not something like I have seen before.

Rakkasan187

RC,

Thank you.. At first we were thinking that the Dieter's were hoping their son was a POW, I am not sure when they received the news that William was in fact KIA, presumably after the war, and when the book was written Ted Lawson probably only knew what was gathered from other crews about the missing on the dedication page, and this was why at first we first assumed that the Dieter's were telling Lois that they hoped that their "Bill" would be home soon.

We have concluded that Lois' son was also named Bill and that he was serving somewhere and the Dieter's were hoping for a quick and safe return..

In any event it is a harsh reminder of the anxiety that many families went through.

I recall growing up when my Uncle, a helicopter pilot in Vietnam with 7 tours of duty would be in Country, and my father and mother and family would watch the news each night to catch a possible glimpse of him, but also dreading seeing the casualty reports, praying his name was not among those lost.

He made it back each time from Nam and is still living today..

Leigh