Army Officers' Khaki dress coat, what time period?

blau-und-weiss

blau-und-weiss

Hi guys,

I bought an US Army Officers' khaki dress jacket with a 77th Infantry Division cut-edge patch on the left sleeve. Tag reads inside the pocket 10.5 oz, khaki shade M-1, contract no. 5762. Tag at the neck reads 8405-753-2925. I'll post a couple of pics via smart phone in a minute. I'm trying to figure out the time period for this particular one...I'm guessing late 50's/early 60's? Anyone?

Jumpin Jack

My guess based on when I purchased mine, mid-1950's to the introduction of the green uniform early 1960's. Jack

My guess based on when I purchased mine, mid-1950's to the introduction of the green uniform early 1960's. Jack

That's what I'm thinking Jack, curiuos to know if that Brown tag is that Army Officers Regulation tag or what ever the correct wording is (I forgot, and I don't feel like getting up and looking at one of my coats to see :lol:)

blau-und-weiss

It's not the Army Officers Regulation tag, it's a care instructions tag.

Martinjmpr

Looks exactly like my dad's Tropical Worsted uniform jacket.

This picture was taken in August of 1966 just before his first tour in Vietnam. He was a 1LT with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment.

post-154311-0-34717300-1494513993.jpg

It's not the Army Officers Regulation tag, it's a care instructions tag.

Right, then a probably as mentioned. 50s, like midish 50s to 60s one. The WWII era early 50s government contact type (and yours has a Government Contract tag as opposed to a private tailor purchase tag) I believe would have that Army Officers Regulation tag.

Since it has a 77th Inf Div patch on it chances are it would date wear of it no later than 1965. The 77th Inf Div of the Reserve in NYC would be inactivated along with the rest of the remaining full combat reserve divisions by the end of 1965. The old 77th was reborn in the form of an Army Command (ARCOM), in late 1967 early 1968, but this type of uniform really wasn't worn anymore by then, it being declared obsolete.

blau-und-weiss

Thanks for your input!! Ya know, I was thinking, I didn't see any pin marks for a name badge. I think name badges came in 1956 didn't they?

Thanks for your input!! Ya know, I was thinking, I didn't see any pin marks for a name badge. I think name badges came in 1956 didn't they?

In those days some officers wore them on this type of coat, most did not.

Here's a topic on NAME Plates.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/198980-1950s-army-name-plates/

• 5 weeks later...

Tan shade M-1 was adopted in 1960s. The Army "stole" this color from USMC. But the tag says Khaki instead. And I guess this particular coat came from 50s then. From the times when Tropical Worsted/TW summer uniform was called Khaki yet. :) All TW Khaki uniforms became officialy Tan on September, 28, 1959.

post-154311-0-34717300-1494513993.jpg

Hey which one is you :lol:

Farthest left is me, age 4. Next is my sister who would have just turned 3 and my brother who would have been 5.

The 77th Inf Div of the Reserve in NYC would be inactivated along with the rest of the remaining full combat reserve divisions by the end of 1965. The old 77th was reborn in the form of an Army Command (ARCOM), in late 1967 early 1968, but this type of uniform really wasn't worn anymore by then, it being declared obsolete.

Only permission to the wear the SSI and the use of the organizational color was carried forward. The new ARCOMs did not inherit the lineage and honors of the divisions whose insignia they wore.

Only permission to the wear the SSI and the use of the organizational color was carried forward. The new ARCOMs did not inherit the lineage and honors of the divisions whose insignia they wore.

That's is correct, thanks for adding that.

Here's an in depth talk on the Reserve units by all of us, you. B229 and me. :D

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/182045-a-ssg-97th-army-reserve-command-class-a/

That's is correct, thanks for adding that.

Here's an in depth talk on the Reserve units by all of us, you. B229 and me. :D

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/182045-a-ssg-97th-army-reserve-command-class-a/

It's flattering someone remembers. All of this arcane knowledge we have is under appreciated. In my brief period in the Army Reserve in 1973 between active duty periods, I was assigned to a unit of the 97th ARCOM and the common belief that we were the same as the old 97th Infantry Division was pervasive.

It's flattering someone remembers. All of this arcane knowledge we have is under appreciated. In my brief period in the Army Reserve in 1973 between active duty periods, I was assigned to a unit of the 97th ARCOM and the common belief that we were the same as the old 97th Infantry Division was pervasive.

Yes, You, B229 and Me, or as I call us, the Triumvirate :lol: