VMI class of 1864 Ambrotype

VMI Class of 1864 David Aloysius Bisset (Left), Unknown possible cadet (Right) Ca. 1861-62.

First Id like to thank Patrick Smith for his invaluable assistance and knowledge on VMI uniforms. This all started a few weeks ago with an unrelated image, yet resulted in the purchase of the image posted. This 6th plate ambro came from the estate of the much living 95 year old Mrs. Bisset, Harrodsburg, Kentucky. In the beginning, all I was sure of is that he was a cadet, but asking the right questions, documentation, and research soon found it was quite possible a VMI cadet. Researching the Bisset line, soon resulted that this was Eugenias Grandfather a cadet a VMI July 1860 to March 1862 when he resigned to join the Confederate Army.

(Left) David Aloysius Bisset wearing McDowell style cap, split cuff coatee, and cavert. You can make out Vitas and VMI on some buttons. He is also wearing woolies, winter grey trousers with black stripe. This would indicate image was produced in Winter of 60-61, or 61-62.

(Right) Unknown possible Cadet VMI wearing chasseur style kepi, military vest with tinted buttons, and possible first class frock turned back to look like lapels. He is holding a book, possibly a bible.

David Aloysius Bisset was born in Petersburg, Va. July 10, 1842. Entered VMI- July 7, 1860; Resigned March 26, 1862 to join the Confederate Army.

Civil War Service: Enlisted Aug. 31, 1862 as Private in Co. E. 13th Virginia Cavalry; Wounded in action and captured near Manassas Gap (Front Royal, VA.) July 24, 1863; Held at Point Lookout, Md.; Exchanged March 17, 1864; Promoted to 2nd Lt. Oct. 24, 1864; Paroled Apr. 17, 1865.

After the war and prior to 1870, he moved to Mercer County, KY and became Sheriff. Died- Jan. 1, 1885 of Bright's Disease in Baltimore, Md. He is buried at the famous Blandford Cemetery in Petersburg, VA.

In the preservation of history, its our duty to get all the details and do all the possible research so their memory is not forgotten..

post-153086-0-44093700-1494459345.jpg

Great image! If you haven't already done so I'd encourage you to contact COL Keith Vinson of the VMI Museum. If they have other images of the cadets in question they may be able to confirm your ID. If not, I'm sure they'd love to add a copy of this one to their archives.

Great image! If you haven't already done so I'd encourage you to contact COL Keith Vinson of the VMI Museum. If they have other images of the cadets in question they may be able to confirm your ID. If not, I'm sure they'd love to add a copy of this one to their archives.

*Col Keith Gibson