Somtimes You Get Lucky - Short Snorter Version

lettow

I picked up a short snorter recently on Ebay. What first drew my attention was that it contained a Philippine Guerrilla note and an Oceania 10 shilling note. Both of these are unusual for short snorters. I was able to decipher a couple signatures from the listing and saw my white whale -- Dick Bong. Had to have it.

post-130897-0-55028300-1494362065.jpg

Any idea who the bill belonged to originally? He apparently had some pretty exclusive drinking buddies!

No. The lead note is missing and that is the one that the owner would have signed, if the owner signed at all. There are a number of signatures from lower enlisted personnel including a half dozen WACs. Some noted they were in the Philippines and ones from late 1945 indicating San Francisco.

The curious one is from a Private in the Toronto Scottish Regiment that appears on an Australian note. By all accounts that I can find the Toronto Scottish Regiment served in Europe. All the other signatures that I can identify trace to SW Asia.

As an aside, the seller blocked me from bidding so I had to get my brother to do so. It was the first time I encountered that. He was a coin dealer in Florida and I once challenged him on spurious SS overprints on German notes he was selling.