WWII US Navy Pilot Wings Sweetheart Bracelet?

McDermut99

McDermut99

This bracelet resurfaced after being boxed away for many months. From what I have gathered this is a WWII-era sweetheart bracelet with a 1 inch US Navy pilot wing (sterling possibly?). The bracelet itself is a nonmagnetic metal sized to fit around a very small wrist. The ends of the bracelet each end with the shape of a heart, and there is no evidence that would suggest that the wings were attached through the bracelet. I also found it interesting that the bracelet is not a completely perfect oval shape, but it's too thick to be bent in.

I've found one other example from Snyder's Treasures that's almost exactly the same as mine except for two additional diamond shapes on the bracelet of their example. It is described as:

"MIDB-0991 USA World War Two 1 Inch STERLING Navy Pilot Wing Mounted on Metal Bracelet made from KIA Japanese Zero Aircraft"
It sold but for what price I don't know.
Were sweetheart bracelets like these made often? Where did they originate from? (I'm a little cautious about the statement that the metal came from a downed Japanese plane.)
Any comments are greatly appreciated!

post-153059-0-43267300-1494301652_thumb.jpg

post-153059-0-52166300-1494301662_thumb.jpg

post-153059-0-89816300-1494301669_thumb.jpg

After searching for images on google using search phrase "bracelet made from Japanese zero" and "jewelry made from Japanese zero", it appears to me that most of the jewelry I saw was made from much thinner, poorer quality metal than your bracelet. Personally, I'm thinking your bracelet was made by some Navy personnel aboard ship using whatever metal (perhaps silverware) in their machine shop. Whoever did it did a great job. You have a nice, quality-made bracelet. I like it. Just my thoughts.

scottiques

Agree with aznation.

I have several aluminum bracelets and period photo documentation of them being made from downed Japanese aircraft. All of them are wider and thinner aluminum.

I will post some of it later.

Scott

McDermut99

I was pretty confident that mine wasn't made from a downed plane. I included the reference and link to the one sold by Snyder's because it was almost exactly the same in appearance and dimensions. I have seen many other examples of similar bracelets, but they all are wider and thinner (making aircraft aluminum as a bracelet material more believable). Many of them also have larger wings put on, and look like they would likely be worn by the pilots themselves, not their sweethearts.

McDermut99

After searching for images on google using search phrase "bracelet made from Japanese zero" and "jewelry made from Japanese zero", it appears to me that most of the jewelry I saw was made from much thinner, poorer quality metal than your bracelet. Personally, I'm thinking your bracelet was made by some Navy personnel aboard ship using whatever metal (perhaps silverware) in their machine shop. Whoever did it did a great job. You have a nice, quality-made bracelet. I like it. Just my thoughts.

aznation, your explanation seems very likely. The metal has more weight to it then would be expected of something its size. I should also mention that in the long time period in which I have owned it, I have never polished it (I wouldn't regardless) and it is in the same condition in which I aquired it. I haven't seen any evidence of tarnish or patina, except for on the pilot wings.

McDermutt, I took another look at the Snyder's bracelet and other than the additional emblem of a diamond shape which it has and yours does not, it appears to be made by the same person or manufacturer of your bracelet. That is the question that remains I believe, whether it was commercially manufactured or done by an individual per se. It almost looks too good to be done by a person on a ship but without any manufacturer mark/s, you'll probably never know for sure. With regards to metal that doesn't tarnish but that is still somewhat heavy, I came up with stainless steel. I believe the U.S. Navy used 302 Stainless Steel during WW2 because of its superior corrosion resistance. You can check if your bracelet is stainless steel by attempting to see if it's non-magnetic. If it is non-magnetic, then your bracelet is indeed stainless steel. Sterling silver such as perhaps the gold on silver wing on your bracelet is also non-magnetic, however, of course it does tarnish, like your wing has.