Legality Owning An Original WWII M1 2.36 Rocket Launcher

mds308

I need some help here. What is the US law when it comes to owning an original WWII M1 rocket launcher? If it has to be rendered nonworking, what has to be done to it? Does it have to be certified through any agency? Anybody own one? Assuming one could be found, what would it sell for? Please, no speculations. I would like facts and accurate information. Thanks.

tarbridge

The route that would be the most safe for you...contact BAFT and get a copy of the regulations concerning ownership.That will answer your questions and you won't have any surprises later.

hbtcoveralls

Tarbridge is correct, BATFE is the final authority in these matters

The preserved and demilled specimens I've seen have a bore sized hole opened on the side of the tube and had steel bars welded inside the bore so that nothing can be shot from them

There are also a precious few that are registered as destructive devices and they involve special paperwork

Tom Bowers

Austringer

Technically the item is contraband at the moment, but there are things you can do to bring it into being legal.

1) do not take possession of it at this point.

2) get the serial number and maker's info from the item

3) use the info in #2 to file a form 1 with the BATF as Destructive Devices can still be "manufactured" or assembled by citizens unlike MGs post mid-1986

4) wait about 9 months for the approval to come back

5) pick up your new toy.

It's won't be a C&R or legally an original since it was only recently manufactured by you so it will not be able to transfer across state lines on a C&R lic and will have to go from C3 (specifically DD) dealer to dealer.

Don't cut unless you live in a state that is a no-fun state. The demil process involves a bore size hole cut in the tube and a steel rod welded across the bore so a projectile can not go down the bore.

As far as value goes, the last original C&R (papered) M1 I saw sell was in the 6-7k range.

Hope this helps.

BTW, all the above was for educational purposes only and not advice. :-)

greasemonkey247

Side note because of curiosity, If its a just steel tube and it to be demilled, whats the difference from the Sarco kits people are building? Is the only difference one has a original ignition trigger and battery compartment that may or may not work vs a kit that doesn't have that? I feel training rounds with working engines would be more of a DD item

Hi guys.

Before we get barking up trees, please read mds308's post carefully: "Assuming one could be found, what would it sell for?" in particular.

No evidence of any contraband, etc. Just an FYI.

Austringer

The sarco ones are generally not 2.36" dia and are generally undersized. Also, 2nd part of your post, Orignal AT and HE rounds are DDs themselves.

greasemonkey247

Thanks for the info, sounds like an expensive toy ! Sorry for taking away from the original topic