Female Dog Tags, What purpose?

rrobertscv

rrobertscv

Can someone tell me what these are for? No blood type, just wondering what there purpose was?

post-285-0-60583800-1494118375_thumb.jpg

She was a military dependent, so I assume that at one point in the 1950's-1960's that spouses had to have dog tags as well for certain overseas assignments. Interesting.

-SKi

I would translate the third line as: "Dependent, U.S. National"

I believe they are for the dependent (spouse or child) of a military member and were used and worn in the same manner and for the same reasons as a military member.

My wife was issued a red dog tag in 1975 showing her allergy to a certain drug. They recommended she wear it, but she just carried it in her purse.

• 4 weeks later...

Dependents were issued dog tags when they were too young for ID cards. Most dependent dog tags were issued to dependent children overseas with a couple of exceptions.

My two youngest children were born during the first Gulf War. I was CONUS in direct support, serving at the easternmost staging base.

They both had two sets. One set was the standard dependent dog tag with my SSAN. The other pair said "Desert Stork" on the bottom.

I was issued a set when I flew to Bosnia as a newspaper photographer. I guess if the plane crashed they'd find something that would identify me.

My Father was USAF in Germany in late 60s early 70s and everyone in Family had both ID cards and dog tags. Every school Year we had to practice being 'evacuated' and we had to all have our dog tags on. Dont really remember wearing them any other time.