• Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 11,708 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:09 PM

Shovel_T__3.jpg
Shovel_T__4.jpg
Shovel_T__1.jpg
Shovel_T__2.jpg

I am showing here a M-1910 shovel cover, there are different manufacturers names on the inside and the outside of the cover. The original manufacturers name and cutting lines, and sewing marks are shown printed on the inside. For whatever reason another company took over the material and production and turned it over and cut it out and printed their name on the outside.

The second maunfactureres marks are very weak and the ink leached into the canvas, and also passed through the material onto the inside. The original inside printing is very bold and strong as will be seen. Also on the printing on the inside you can see the curved black lines for cutting the outline of the cover, and also are the printed marks for where the straps and the patch of material to hold the hooks should have been sewn.

The original printing on the inside was a company called 'W.B. Farrel & Assoc. Inc. 1942', the company that actually made it was ' Vardaman Shoe Co. 1942' . It is interesting to see that these things were made for a war and were not ' perfect' as some people may like to think, this is the reality of items made sixty odd years ago. If you have anything unusal in a similar manufacturing quirk to this, please show them here.

#2 US CANTEEN GURU

US CANTEEN GURU

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 85
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:24 AM

The original contractor may have had material left over when their contract was completed and Jeffersonville Depot had them send the material to another contractor. Less likely is the contractor defaulted their contract and the material was sent to Vardaman.

I could find no listing for either of these companies in the listings of major war contractors.

#3 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:23 AM

Everybody take note of how the cover is constructed. Apparently, the US milspec was for them to be a one piece design. There's a collector/dealer who has sold USMC M1910 shovel covers for years on the internet, some marked "USMC", and they look fairly decent until you notice they're a two piece design.

#4 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 11,708 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:32 AM

Shovel_Side.jpg

I suppose you can technically call it a one piece construction, if you look at one of the sides of any cover you will see that most of them are never chopped all the way to the bottom, as shown in the attached photograph. The one I have shown has quite a long uncut section, but some of the machinist's sometimes sew the seam much lower, sometimes look inside the cover. What I do like about the photographs that I posted at the start of the thread is that it shows what all the black lines or marks are for, they are for the cutters and the machinist's. The number of times that I have heard over the years ' Oh it's not mint it has black marks on it'. I trained as a tailor when I first left school and so I saw all the background work needed to manufacture things, including all the markings and cutter tags.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users