Is this a Repop M3 being listed?

Persian Gulf Command

Original blade-dated Kinfolks have pinned pommels, and blued finish. This one has a staked pommel, and appears to be refinished,plus the handle does not appear correct, looks like handle was replaced. Note there is no line of white on the blade. I noticed the seller has several on ebay, all look refinished. Notice the grind marks are showing in the blade. Could be a fake. SKIP

Did you look at the rest of them? If those are fake he paired them with some nice leather. Case,R.C.,Pal,Utica. Some blades do look to have like finishes. I can't really see the pommels due to the photo angle.

New message: Hi, Thanks for your email. I would ...

eBay

New message from: absoluteestates Top Rated Seller(5,118Green Star)

Hi, Thanks for your email. I would guess that those people are the same ones that are emailing me asking for Buy It Now prices and making me offers, lol. This seems to be a common tactic among collectors, to speak negatively about items that they wish to buy in order to drive down interest. We purchased this collection a few years ago. The knives had been in storage for many years, some of them for over forty. The collector was knowledgeable and meticulous... each knife was stored coated in cosmoline grease and stored separately from its sheath. The man who collected them has passed away, but I have no doubt that these knives are, indeed, as good as they appear. I understand that the are many people on ebay who misrepresent their military items, so suspicion is always warranted, but this collection is legitimate and valuable and I still have a bit more to list for sale. Hope this helps to clarify things. Please email again if you have any further questions or photo requests and I'd be happy to accomodate. Sincerely, Lisa

Your previous message

There are people on the military knife forum saying this and other m-3s your selling are altered /fakes. Would you care to respond to these allegations?

Vintage WWII 1943 Kinfolks Inc US M3 Trench Fighting Knife M8 B.M. Co Scabbard

Vintage WWII 1943 Kinfolks Inc US

Current Bid: $235.50

Auction ends May 11, 2017 13:59 PDT

Bids: 7

Place bid

Get to know the seller absoluteestates

• Located: West Palm Beach, FL, United States

• Positive Feedback: 100%

Only purchases on eBay are covered by the eBay purchase protection programs. Asking your trading partner to complete a transaction outside of eBay is not allowed.

Email reference id: [#a02-mxr09cfvza#]_[#14087033f01d4caaa5dbf21b968fe210#]

We don't check this mailbox, so please don't reply to this message. If you have a question, go to Help & Contact.

eBay sent this message to john schmidt (jw517). Learn more about account protection. eBay is committed to your privacy. Learn more about our privacy notice and user agreement.

©2017 eBay Inc., 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125

Persian Gulf Command

Just to be clear I have no interest in this listing. My only intent was to have a determination regarding the authenticity as a WW2 Blade dated Kinfolks M3, with the goal of further education for the collector community here.

absolutearms

Hi, I am selling these knives on ebay, Please contact me if you need to see further pictures before passing judgement and I'll be more than happy to send them. Here is a pic of the blade where you can see the white line and here is another picture of the pommel, where you can see the ordnance marking. Not trying to misrepresent anything, I'm a fair seller and all my items have a 30 day return policy if buyer is not happy.

post-131381-0-75800200-1494086434.jpg

post-131381-0-35296300-1494086435.jpg

Brian Keith

Interesting thread, I pulled out my Cole Book III, and he shows the 1943 blade dated Kinfolks with a staked pommel (pg 101, illustration #17). The blade dated PAL and UC are pinned in his illustrations. Thank you Absolutearms for stepping up to the plate here. I'm not a heavy knife guy, but I have a few books. I also don't know the seller and I don't purchase things off e-pay anymore.

I don't understand the "white line", is that a scratch in the park made during handle assembly?

BKW

Misfit 45

Brian,

The white line referred to, comes about when the knife has a factory edge that was done after the knife was Parkerized. Knives that have been refurbished are usually sharpened before Parkerizing, so no white line.

Does anyone have a Kinfolks, blade dated M3 they can post for comparison? The peen looks a little crude, but in Gary's book U.S. Knife Bayonets and Scabbards, there is a dead mint ACC marked M4 bayonet that looks like the peen was done with a chisel. I asked Gary about this and he said that new workers in the factory did not always get the peen right. That changed my whole perspective on identifying a replaced handle.

Marv

I checked out some of their other offerings too. Lots of questions! Do your homework gang! The blade-dated Utica does not have a pinned pommel, but has "V"cut grooves in the handle, which were never used. The PAL blade-dated has one pin(like Camillus repros), instead of two pins in the pommel. The blade-dated RCC has the pommel staked wrong. Also note all the handles appear to be dyed, and buffed the same. Also saw one being sold that had what looked like the little square cut on an M4, but filled in and buffed. I did note there was a Kinfolks blade marked (not dated) that had an original worn finish, and appeared all correct. In all fairness to the seller, they may not know about all these little indicators concerning legit, or rebuilt M3s, and did step up to the plate. But it's good to see folks picking up on discrepancies. SKIP

They are not knife people,we are. They are reluctant to take advice given here so they are just going to keep selling them I guess. I told her(the seller) going to this Forum is like going to the doctor. You may not like what the doctor told you but don't ignore what e says.

Last comment I'll make, the RCC being sold has a 7groove handle, never saw one before, and the PAL blade-dated was he one with what looks like the square cut out like an M4, but filled in. We all learned a lot about these knives! SKIP

Persian Gulf Command

Thank you gentlemen, this is the discussion I hoped we could have.

Not, Should it be bought or sold for this amount or that amount.

Regards!

These are the things that concern me about the Kinfolk's M3 in the OP.

The tooling marks on the main bevel of the blade.

The nature of the starburst pattern on the pommel/tang.

Comparing the blade stamp with known good examples in my reference material, I can plaining see differences in the shapes or styling of the (S),and (3). Even if I compare this blade dated one to other Kinfolk that are just blade marked I still see the differences.

Of the three concerns the starburst would be my least concern. Having all three of these anomalies would cause me to pass until I had satisfactory answers.

One very positive note, is the knives were not posted as a "starting bid of ", some very high dollar value. We've beat this dead horse. We have to look out for each other, and the newer collectors. Kinda sounds like a "mission statement" doesn't it. SKIP