Japanese ship models "rescued" by Navy officer

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

I got a call from a former Navy JAG officer who had some war souvenirs from his uncle, who was an officer aboard a mine sweeper in WWII.

The uncle was given models of a Japanese battleship, cruiser and submarine by someone at the Imperial Japanese Naval Academy during the early occupation period. The giver apparently felt the academy would close as part of the demilitarization Japan and the US officer was asked to take care of them. After almost 72 years they are still together, although in need of cleaning and restoration. I put together a short video in which the nephew tells us a bit about their history.

While I am generally against returning spoils of war, when I saw what you posted before viewing the video, I thought it would be neat to present these back to the Japanese Naval Academy. So, I was pleased to see the end text, good luck and keep us posted. Scott

M24 Chaffee

Very interesting bring backs and story! As far as contacting the Japanese Naval Academy, how would that be done? Would it be directly or through US military channels?

Frank

Very interesting bring backs and story! As far as contacting the Japanese Naval Academy, how would that be done? Would it be directly or through US military channels?

Frank

Contact the nearest Japanese consulate. They would take the ball from there. I imagine they would fly in reps from the academy and hold the ceremony at the consulate.