Col. Leo Thorsness, USAF MOH

Randy

Passed away today at 85. Was a MiG killer and F-105 Wild Weasel pilot. Earned the MOH 2 weeks before he was shot down and spent the next 6 years as a POW. Was John McCain's cell mate for a period while imprisoned. A great American and patriot. Rest in peace!

Randy

uniformcollector

I had the honor of sitting next to Col. Thorsness at the funeral for fellow Air Force Medal of Honor recipient Bernie Fisher. He was as humble as any veteran I have ever met and was full of life when he talked about his friend Bernie.

He was one of the few people I would consider a true hero.

Rest in peace Colonel!

post-104949-0-54434900-1494038827_thumb.jpgpost-104949-0-35610900-1494038833.jpg

trenchbuff

I had the honor of meeting Col. Thorsness when I was a young Navy LT. What a classy, down to earth gentleman. RIP Sir.

Just noted the country had lost this great airman yesterday while looking at a NYT paper. They gave him half a page in the obits which I think was well done. If you don't know his story you need to look him up.

RIP Sir!

decwriter

I met him at a local event years ago and he wasn't wearing his MoH. Being an enlisted flier, I knew who he was though. He was a very humble recipient and a pleasure to talk with. The Air Force lost one of its best earlier this week. RIP