Wood Crate or locker. DET I CO D- 505TH Any Ideas Identifying

maharsb

I saw this box at an Antique store Yesterday. I did not take a picture of the inside but it is not like a foot locker. It has a narrow compartment on the front wit the rest open.

post-158192-0-49751500-1493679685_thumb.jpg

I don't know what it is but my cousin was the Executive Officer of D Co. 2nd Bat. 505 PIR. In WWII.

That is neat!

Ronnie

I think that's the #1 Carpenter's Tool Chest. The narrow compartment would hold cross cut saws.

Trying to figure out what is DET I is, guess it stands for Detachment 1, but this title is not a familiar one in any line infantry unit, if this is what the 505th is, the 505th PIR or 505th AIR. Now it could be for another branch, ie 505th Signal or Engineer battalions etc, still, uncertain, as these type units normally had only three companies, A, B, and C, plus their sub organizations may have used Sections rather than Platoons and Detachments.

Trying to figure out what is DET I is, guess it stands for Detachment 1, but this title is not a familiar one in any line infantry unit, if this is what the 505th is, the 505th PIR or 505th AIR. Now it could be for another branch, ie 505th Signal or Engineer battalions etc, still, uncertain, as these type units normally had only three companies, A, B, and C, plus their sub organizations may have used Sections rather than Platoons and Detachments.

Could it be the 505th Military Police Battalion. I was looking around and saw that the had a D company at some point in time. I am just not familiar enough with MP's to know if they may have had Detachments.

I did go back and buy it the other day. I will post a few more pictures of it tomorrow. I would be nice if it was from the 505th PIR, but I would not expect it to be, I am never lucky enough to find something like that. Either way it will make a neat piece to store some of my stuff in.

Could it be the 505th Military Police Battalion. I was looking around and saw that the had a D company at some point in time. I am just not familiar enough with MP's to know if they may have had Detachments.

That's possible. Will have to see if MP Battalions and or Companies (if a separate Company) used Detachment rather than Platoon or Section.

But then there's the question of if it was Detachments in MP units, why Detachment 1 rather than 1st Detachment, you know as in 1st Platoon, 2nd Platoon etc.

I just found a reference to a unit title like this, Det followed by a number, it is Det 51 160th Sig Co, or in full Detachment 51 160th Signal Company, this was a separate photographic unit in the ETO in WW2. Now unknown if this was a standard way of titling sub units with signal companies whether in battalions or separate companies, or if type units IE support units used this too, or if it was a WW2 thing, IE used in the 50s and 60s-70s, but it's a good head start.