New Jersey Naval Brigade Patches

KurtA

Picked these up in an antique shop over the weekend. Not too much info out there about this unit. NJ did have a Naval Militia that was part of the National Guard. However, I believe this unit may have been more along the lines of a scout-like organization for boys.

post-322-0-43899000-1493677998_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
lamarhooten

Had some Texas naval stuff once and traded it off. Thought it was some Sea Scout stuff. Sorry,no pics of the items

• 3 weeks later...

The Naval Reserve of New Jersey was organized by an act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1895. The stated purpose of this organization was to defend the coast, harbors, and waterfront property. Following the passage of the Federal Naval Reserve Law of 1916, the name was changed to the Naval Militia of New Jersey. Ultimately, the unit evolved into a brigade composed of three divisions, each having several divisions. Members of the Naval Militia fought in the Spanish-American War, World War I, and World War II reaching a peak strength of 3,590 during the Korean Conflict. By 1963, the command had been deactivated and absorbed into the U.S. Naval Reserve.

http://www.nj.gov/military/publications/naval/background.html

The patch and Tab I image is a early WWII one, worn after the Naval Militia of New Jersey expanded to a Brigade

Salvage Sailor

This is my New Jersey Naval Militia patch circa 1999 to 2002 for comparison

New Jersey Naval Militia 1999 2002 001.jpg

New Jersey Naval Militia 1999 2002 002.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi. 

I know this is an old thread but...
I know those patches. 
They are still stitched on my old, very small, uniform.

I was a member of the NJ Naval Brigade in the 1970’s. I was in the 2nd Battalion, located in Clifton, NJ. 
I joined at age 9 and left at age 16. 
It was a “scout-like” organization, but with a naval theme.  It was terrific and probably saved a bunch of us kids from getting into trouble by teaching us discipline and respect, as well as real skills. It was run by vets who cared about kids. 
Sadly, it is gone.