18th Corps Airborne Distictive Insignia Unknown Maker

GeneralLucas

GeneralLucas

I picked up this DI and I have never seen this maker. What tIme frame is it also? Who is the maker? Thanks folks.

post-1658-0-82485600-1493658872.jpg

I seen this hallmark before, it was on a matching pair of 52nd Infantry DIs I used to have. These I thought might of been Italian made in the 50s as this unit, known then as the 52nd Armored Infantry Battalion, a separate organization, served in Vicenza Italy from 1956-58, what also lead to believe this might of been theater made was the non standard shape of the 52nd's shield right, it was more curved and narrower.

Thanks, What puzzled me was the crown.

Yeah but I'm not sure at all who this maker is. I don't see it listed.

Could this be the hallmark for Harry Maurer?

My notes show an HM in an oval but don't mention a crown.

If it is Harry Maurer they made a lot of insignia for collectors. ASMIC information list them as making class E and F insignia.

Brent

GeneralLucas

What does the Harry Maurer hallmark look like? This DI is a little smaller than the average DI slightly. In the U.S. we really do see makers with crowns.

What does the Harry Maurer hallmark look like? This DI is a little smaller than the average DI slightly. In the U.S. we really do see makers with crowns.

That is a good question. I have not seen a Harry Maurer attributed piece. I tried an internet search but have come up empty so far and the only information I have on Harry Maurer is the HM in an oval. I also did a quick search in the Trading Post but came up empty there too.

It is unfortunate that there is so little information on manufactures and their hallmarks. Perhaps something will turn up. This would be a good topic for research and publication.

Brent

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I have let this one drag on for a while, hoping someone would dig what I dug out of the Asmic Special ops catalog. there are two entries in the "part II" section, or gives credit to HM- Historic Memorabilia- Ira Green, and on the opposite page for another entry for the 7th Ranger Co. it is known as HM Historic Militaria- Ira Green, Apparently these pieces, , I added a few here, that have the crowned HM hallmark are made by Ira Green.

Matt

post-3202-0-80310200-1496347206_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-00832900-1496347378_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-35738500-1496347395_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for pointing that out, Matt, I appreciate it. That hallmark is strictly on collector pieces then.

DI hallmarks are an area that I am weak in and still learning. My references in that area are also limited. However, I am making some headway.

Thank you,

Brent

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

So this hallmark is modern made for collectors/veterans/ reunions etc?....mike

That my quetion now too come to think about it, what's the vintage, late 60s-early 70s? Ranger Department Infantry School DI that was made by HM appears in the late 60s early 70s.

Makes one think then that perhaps HM made the ones worn in by te few men wearing it at Benning in this topic on the DI,

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210993-the-old-ranger-department-patchcrest/

• 2 years later...