USMC Estate Find

Sparty On

Sparty On

It's been several months since anything has popped at any estate sales in my area. I noticed a USMC visor in a listing and thought I'd check it out on the way to my wife's ultrasound appointment. To my surprise there was also a green service jacket. According to the estate seller the family removed all the ribbons AND medals from the jacket the night before the sale started which is why the jacket wasn't pictured. I asked him to forward my info to the family to get in touch should they decide to sell them. In the meantime I think I may use replacement tibbons based off the estate sellers photo to restore it to its original condition.

After doing some research I found some great history on him. He served aboard the battleship Nevada (hence the SSI) that supported marine landings in the pacific at Iwo Jima and Okinawa. The Nevada was hit by a Japanese kamikaze pilot on March 27, 1945 on the main deck near turret 3 while off of Okinawa throwing him to the deck and injuring his back from which he suffered for the rest of his life. Born in Hartford city, Indiana he died June 25, 1978 in Lansing where he was a metal shop teacher at CW Otto junior high school.

post-104736-0-21144900-1493603415.jpg

Sparty On

I always found a big stack newspapers with some great headlines from the war.

post-104736-0-01465400-1493605269.jpg

• 1 month later...