What is this ammo?

Sgt. BARney

Sgt. BARney

Picked these up at a gun store recently - a belt of fired .308 (7.62 NATO) cartridges. There are 6 holes bored in the shoulder of each cartridge.

What are these? Some kind of blank, or training round? Never seen this before.

The cartridges are all head-stamped " LC 68 and have a circled cross or plus sign.

Thank you very much for any info you can share!

post-160365-0-61147900-1493502746_thumb.jpg

post-160365-0-24554600-1493502759_thumb.jpg

post-160365-0-90641800-1493502769_thumb.jpg

Sgt. BARney

Thanks for the input USARV72. Seems they would just shred these rather than drill holes in the shoulder to demil.

In this case, the links and fired cartridges have nothing to do with each other except someone linked them together as a souvenir.

The rounds are regular 7.62mm Nato ball cartridges that have been fired in an M49A1 subcaliber device in the 90mm M67 recoilless rifle. The pressure venting and back blast in this device is created by blowing out the 6 holes on the cartridge shoulder.

Garandomatic

I had to look it up... That thing literally blows the holes out upon firing... Extremely interesting.

How does it actually do that though?? A ported chamber that just lets it happen?

Brian Keith

Very interesting! Again I learned something new! Thanks Ordnance! Actually, I'll bet these are fairly uncommon cases to find.

BKW

Fired examples like these used to be easier to find but the M67 recoilless rifles were retired from service quite a few years back. So no training equals no fired cases to bring home. I assume most of the roles for the M67 were taken over by other launchers like the AT-4, SMAW, and the 84mm Carl Gustav used by various branches.

That said, I know they did dust off a few M67s and send them to the sandbox within the last 10 years. A small lot of Vietnam era flechette rounds for the M67 were function tested, approved, and sent overseas for use in them. So there's still of few of the heavy old beasts in use.

Carried one on alerts in RVN, heavy as a ton of bricks. Fired it a couple of times but never had the sub caliber training device. We were sweating the gook T-54&55s.