WWI Field Made Pilot Wings Opinions

Doodlebewi

I was wondering what you guys thought about these wings.
It's engraved on the back like something you would see a instructor do.
See similar wings worn by Bolling Mission on the breast.
Let me know what you guys think

post-160151-0-48831100-1493447159.png

I can not make out the engraving on the back in your photo.

Recommend caution. Whenever an artifact is purporting to be something exotic, but can be made simply and easily with low to moderate skills--care must be taken.

If it can be purchased cheaply, as a curiosity, it might be worth having. If it is being offered as an expensive exotic piece, I personally would pass--barring additional supporting information.

Chris

I would say keep away !!! Not WWI more likely a recently modified post WWII wing. I can't read the engraving buy I've seen that style of engraving on suspicious wings !!

This could be a version of the WWII clipped wing worn by B-26 pilot's. Because of the small, stubby wings of the B-26, pilot's in England had jewellers cut down their personal wings to match the B-26 wings.

Could you please provide a clear closeup of the engraving on the back of this pin? Also, is there something about them that make you feel they are field made?

John Conway

This started life as an officer's cap badge - everything snipped away but the shield and wings. I've seen them called many things but I haven't seen anything that backed any identification beyond a modified cap badge for purposes unknown