SUBDUDE 27th ARMORED DIVISION PATCH

firefighter

firefighter

I only got this because my father was in the 27th 'EMPIRE' ARMORED DIVISION.

Looks 60s/early70s? The 27th Armor was deactivated in the early 60s, before subdude patches came out. Posted ImagePosted Image

Actually, the 27th was deactivated in 1968 during the transition to subdued patches, so these are explainable. Here are a couple patches which are more head scratch-worthy...... With the exception of the 93rd, none of the other units saw combat and were deactivated before desert patches came out. Assumption patches is what I call them.....

-Ski

post-3043-0-43824800-1493410510_thumb.jpg

firefighter

Actually, the 27th was deactivated in 1968 during the transition to subdued patches, so these are explainable. Here are a couple patches which are more head scratch-worthy...... With the exception of the 93rd, none of the other units saw combat and were deactivated before desert patches came out. Assumption patches is what I call them.....

-Ski

Ski thank you. Ya, those are some interesting patches.

Hi guys

27th Armd Div and 93rd ID subdued merrowed are listed in my HJ Saunders 1997 onwards catalogue's.

I believe all of the patches fall into the following categories:

• Made for collectors-1999 " desert" coloured patches started to appear , US build up Desert storm (HJ Saunders, Douglas L Boyer militaria).
  • Made in anticipation re the 1950's colored Airborne tabs ie 80th Abn Div. never authorised
  • Manufacturing errors.
  • Retailers capitalising on insignia/patches re made for collectors.

Back in the late 90's , I had some oddball US made SSI, then modern patches for units that were never activated , couldn't figure it out until after I sold my original collection and years later in discussions regarding US shoulder sleeve history discussions with Steve "Patch" Johnson (not the ones posted).

Phill

firefighter

Hi guys

27th Armd Div and 93rd ID subdued merrowed are listed in my HJ Saunders 1997 onwards catalogue's.

• Made for collectors-1999 " desert" coloured patches started to appear , US build up Desert storm (HJ Saunders, Douglas L Boyer militaria).
  • Made in anticipation re the 1950's colored Airborne tabs ie 80th Abn Div. never authorised
  • Manufacturing errors.
  • Retailers capitalising on insignia/patches re made for collectors.
Back in the late 90's , I had some oddball US made SSI, then modern patches for units that were never activated , couldn't figure it out until after I sold my original collection and years later in discussions regarding US shoulder sleeve history discussions with Steve "Patch" Johnson (not the ones posted).

Phill

That makes sense. I still like it, for $5 I had to get it.

Hi guys

These definitely do not fall into this category. I can post some of those patches next week. The patches you mention are obvious repros.

-Ski

No need to post, see point Retailers capitalising on insignia/patches re made for collectors ie in plain English reproductions.

Phill

firefighter

No need to post, see point Retailers capitalising on insignia/patches re made for collectors ie in plain English reproductions.

Phill

I would think more FANTaSY, since there were no subdued 27th Armor patches.

Here's another one, for what its worth, like the one post by FF, it has that Broad Flat Merrowed Border characteristic of late 60s subdued and full color patches, now we got to find a matching subdued EMPIRE tab :D

post-34986-0-73201500-1493480492_thumb.jpg

I would think more FANTaSY, since there were no subdued 27th Armor patches.

I completely disagree. The 27th patch is a legitimate subdued patch made for a unit that was deactivated right when it was being produced, 1968.

-Ski

I completely disagree. The 27th patch is a legitimate subdued patch made for a unit that was deactivated right when it was being produced, 1968.

-Ski

I agree, but rare I would say, the only other one I seen is a II Corps subdued, II Corps was inactivated in 1968 too.Probably a mere handfull of makers did this.

firefighter

-Ski

I would love to see one that was used.I didn't think they were ever used

post-34986-0-62316900-1493519620_thumb.jpg

Here's that II Corps one, the making of these must be really a choice by who ever made them, probably didn't do it for very long, and didn't make many boxes of them, and probaly curtailed making them for other units once word can down these units were being inactivated.

Indeed there were a load of units that were being inactivated in 1968, most Corps, save for I, III, V, VII, IX, and the XVIII Abn, a few NG Divisions and Brigades, one Reserve Brgade, the 191st Inf Bde (Sep) ETC. Would love to see subdued for those units, but so far seen only the 27th Armd Div w/o EMPIRE tab, and now II Corps.

I don't think they were either. I think the patch was made and went straight into storage.

-Ski

I forgot about the talk we had about the 27th Armd Div patch before, see post related toit. Now that 22nd Armd Div patch you'll see I would agree is a fluke, perhaps as seanmc says " a collectors copy" maybe even the subdued 11th Abn Div I posted in the very last post of this topic.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/170452-a-late-1960s-1970s-subdued-shoulder-patch-question/

I forgot about the talk we had about the 27th Armd Div patch before, see post related toit. Now that 22nd Armd Div patch you'll see I would agree is a fluke, perhaps as seanmc says " a collectors copy" maybe even the subdued 11th Abn Div I posted in the very last post of this topic.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/170452-a-late-1960s-1970s-subdued-shoulder-patch-question/

I think that the 11th patch was a legitimately produced patch for use as a combat patch. The same was done for Vietnam units right after Desert Storm for the DCU's. There is a 187th RCT merrowed edge and subdued patch out there most definitely officially done I believe for use as combat patches. I think the subdued 93rd patch was not a fluke for made for this reason.

-Ski

I think that the 11th patch was a legitimately produced patch for use as a combat patch. The same was done for Vietnam units right after Desert Storm for the DCU's. There is a 187th RCT merrowed edge and subdued patch out there most definitely officially done I believe for use as combat patches. I think the subdued 93rd patch was not a fluke for made for this reason.

-Ski

Thanks Ski, on that 27th Armd Div subdued, would love to know if the theory I put forth was true, in that it was worn by men of the 27th when it became a Brigade of the 50th Armd Div, you know worn over the U.S, ARMY tape, if so, for however brief it might of been done might explain lack of a match EMPIRE tab?

Ah, but one more shot to close out the duty day. How about some real fantasy garbage for collectors?

-Ski

post-3043-0-52097400-1493846387_thumb.jpg