1919 Aviation badge. A A P U.S. Marked Tiffany. Info?

Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane

1919 Aviation badge. A A P U.S. Marked Tiffany. Info? A friend asked me to post this badge.This is the only photo he sent me. I realize that I'll need a photo of the back to determine authenticity, but I'm posting this photo for identification and in hopes of finding out if these are commonly reproduced. Thanks. Always appreciated.

post-154922-0-70579600-1493374835_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what this pin is, but I do know that Tiffany was well known for producing not only military items for people who could afford a bit more for their items, but perhaps even more for manufacturing badges, medallions, pins, awards, etc. for associations, clubs, and companies. My initial thought is this looks like something from the latter category rather than the former but as I do not know exactly what this is I could be incorrect and would love to learn from someone who does know for sure.

As for reproductions, anything will be reproduced if a forger thinks they can get a few dollars from it. This is especially true for forgers in certain countries in Asia and the former Soviet Union where a few dollars makes forging worth while. And with today's readily available technology for making forgeries the quality of forgeries can be quite high and difficult to spot, even for experts. Perhaps the most widely forged items these days are the Great War pilots wings, with not only US but perhaps even more so the German ones being heavily forged. With German pilots badges out there my sense is that perhaps 98 percent of what you see for sale are poor to exceptional quality forgeries.

Jennings Lane

Thanks. I agree and suspect that it's not military, since no one recognized the badge. And, as you mentioned, Tiffany made a lot of stuff for a lot of people.

Andy

I want to preface my comments with this is all opinion and speculation--I don't know anything about this badge.

Boy is that is an unlovely badge. Artistically and aesthetically speaking, it has two quite nicely, balanced, art-nouveau inspired representational wings. Which are visually overwhelmed by an enormous allegorical sunburst. The monogram in the middle is also weirdly out of balance. The worst offenders are the letters; "P" and especially the "S" -- which look like it was drawn by a small child.

I have to imagine the encounter between the Tiffany employee and whoever ordered it went something like this:

[The gilded age, Tiffany and Co., the worlds finest jeweler, midday, 1919]

Tiffany Clerk: Good day Sir, is there something I can do for you?

Customer: Why yes. I am the President of the Aviator Assistance Program of Underwear Salesmen.

Tiffany Clerk: Yes sir... What an unusual organization.

Customer: Stares blankly... [uncomfortable silence]

Tiffany Clerk: How may I help you?

Customer: You do bespoke work?

Tiffany Clerk: Yes sir [proudly] we are Tiffany and Co. Finest makers of bespoke jewelry in the world. Our designers and artisans are of the highest repute!

Customer: Stares blankly... [more uncomfortable silence]

Tiffany Clerk: So... [?]

Customer: Stares blankly...

Tiffany Clerk: Is there something our artisans can craft for you?

Customer: [Reaches in pocket, pulls out soiled, crumpled paper napkin, unfolds, lays on table, slowly slides across the counter]

Tiffany Clerk: [pulls spectacles from waistcoat] Yes sir. Did your son draw this for you?

Customer: I drew it.

Tiffany Clerk: I see. Well, we can make this quite lovely for you

Customer: No.

Tiffany Clerk: Sir?

Customer: Just like that.

Tiffany Clerk: Sir?!?

Customer: [thumps napkin with finger] just. like. that.

Something to keep in mind about this particular pin, it could be aviation related but not necessarily. The wings could be just an added design element with no particular meaning or they could refer to some other activity - for example trucking or motorcycling or some kind of courier service or something to do with birds such as racing pigeons or ?